Are the FA DH players better than the O's prospects?

wildcard

3 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

If the team is appropriately managed the player who gives the team the best chance to win gets the at bats. Signing a FA hitters gives you more options, not less.

In theory yes, but as we saw last year, that doesn't always happen.  

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think the Orioles preference will be to use the DH in a rotational basis, not assigned to one main player. Regardless of whether they go with a prospect/young player from within, trade, or acquire a player in FA, the Orioles need some of the DH PAs for Rutschman when he's not catching.

Right now the Orioles need to add a legitimate middle of the order hitter to the lineup. While Rutschman and Henderson could certainly develop into that guy, I think looking for that big bopper 1B might be the better position to focus on.

Sounds like there's general agreement that a big bopper would be "nice."  But we all know the O's payroll, and while it has room, it also has limitations.  So if you're the front office, in my opinion you likely have to choose between big bopper 1B and TOR.  I'll pick TOR any day.

58 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Sounds like there's general agreement that a big bopper would be "nice."  But we all know the O's payroll, and while it has room, it also has limitations.  So if you're the front office, in my opinion you likely have to choose between big bopper 1B and TOR.  I'll pick TOR any day.

I'm not sure why they can't afford both honestly. Now whether they will with the current lawsuits involving current ownership is the real question. 

50 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure why they can't afford both honestly. Now whether they will with the current lawsuits involving current ownership is the real question. 

2/34 for a FA hitter

2/34 for a middle of the rotation FA starter. Someone better that Lyles.

2m for  back up catcher acquired in trade

That 36M add to the current 43m for a 79M payroll next year.   I think that is doable.

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Power rank how good are these ballplayers:

Jordan Lyles, Kyle Stowers, Austin Voth, Spenser Watkins, Jordan Westburg

If Elias has about $25mm to spend (just spitballing, though didn't exactly pluck from thin air as it is today's projected 2023 Opening Day payroll gap between 27th place TBR $70mm and 28th place BAL $45mm), I am hoping Acquisition1 is in the Eovaldi-Senga-Taillon range, and Acquistion2 at least around Kluber-Stripling range.     I don't think a pair of SP like that are passing $25mm by much if at all.

It is for me worse for the 2023 Orioles if Lyles and Watkins pitch for them than it is if Westburg and Stowers hit for them.   Westburg and Stowers fail, its Ortiz and Cowser.     Voth and Watkins fail, its....Zimmermann and Harvey?

We have a few shots on goal for OF and 2B in-house.  Not so much for quality SP depth.

Obviously the answer is sign Rizzo to play 1B and move Mountcastle to DH. That gives the defense a boost, balances the lineup a bit, and takes some pressure off Mountcastle…both from his perspective and managements need to count on a guy who just keeps getting worse every year who also plays a position where offensive output is kind of a necessity. 

Imagine a top 5 of the lineup like

Mullins

Rutschman

Rizzo

Mountcastle

Henderson

Even if Mountcastle continues his downward trend then there’s other players that could step into that spot in the lineup. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oriole said:

Obviously the answer is sign Rizzo to play 1B and move Mountcastle to DH. That gives the defense a boost, balances the lineup a bit, and takes some pressure off Mountcastle…both from his perspective and managements need to count on a guy who just keeps getting worse every year who also plays a position where offensive output is kind of a necessity. 

Imagine a top 5 of the lineup like

Mullins

Rutschman

Rizzo

Mountcastle

Henderson

Even if Mountcastle continues his downward trend then there’s other players that could step into that spot in the lineup. 

I think it is at least as likely to add pressure as it would remove it.

Mancini hasn’t been good for the Astros at the plate. Maybe his value is down to a 1/6 type of deal. Aguilar on a milb deal is an option. The Tigers might non tender Jaimer Candelero. A Nelson Cruz reunion?Can we lure Renato Nunez back from Japan?  That was a serious comment. 😂

We have a plethora of bats that are in AA/AAA. I don’t see Elias handing out big FA money to a 1B/DH type, when we have bats that are so close. I think we stop gap it up until the deadline, and re-evaluate. It’s the same theory with Jordan Lyles for the rotation. 

If we did spend for a player, then I think that guy would be Jose Abreu. I think without the shift he’s going to kill. We’d have to be the highest bidder, and that probably involves a three year deal. 

57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is at least as likely to add pressure as it would remove it.

Yeah, from Mountcastle perspective this is a possibility. But from a team standpoint, it’d be good to be in a position that you can back off from depending on him to be that middle of the order bat that we all had hoped he’d be. 

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Rizzo still has good power and walks a good amount but do we really need/want another 230 hitter?  I really hope they put an emphasis on guys who can actually hit for a good average. 

He’d have led the team in OPS+ last year. The shift ban will only help his hitting. And he’s a better defender than Mountcastle. 

2 hours ago, oriole said:

Obviously the answer is sign Rizzo to play 1B and move Mountcastle to DH.

Is it though? Mountcastle is younger (25 y/o vs 33 y/o) and faster (53rd percentile sprint speed vs 14th) than Rizzo, and Ryan was the better defender last year according to OAA (+2 vs -3), DRS (+1 vs -3), and UZR (0.6 vs 0.4). Plus Rizzo has back problems and signing him would give the Yankees our 3rd highest draft pick.

I previously had interest in Rizzo but that is no longer the case after taking a closer look. Pass.

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Is it though? Mountcastle is younger (25 y/o vs 33 y/o) and faster (53rd percentile sprint speed vs 14th) than Rizzo, and Ryan was the better defender last year according to OAA (+2 vs -3), DRS (+1 vs -3), and UZR (0.6 vs 0.4). Plus Rizzo has back problems and signing him would give the Yankees our 3rd highest draft pick.

I previously had interest in Rizzo but that is no longer the case after taking a closer look. Pass.

You think the Yankees are going to tender him a QO?

I would not want to pay him 1/19.65.

15 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

It's only like $3 million more than what they owe him if he doesn't opt out and they don't have an in-house replacement. I would be pretty shocked if they don't issue it.

Maybe, but I have a hard time swallowing paying ~20 million for one season of a 33 year old 1B that put up a sub 2.5 win season.