Hyde Finishes Second in MoY.

Can_of_corn

I cannot tell you how absurd this is.  The Argument is purely wrong and absurd. If you switch the Orioles in the Indians in their divisions,  the Orioles win the central hands down. There were five writers who didn’t even vote for Hyde. Any writer who voted Boone ahead of Hyde should have their credentials revoked immediately!

Edited by csgordos
Spelling
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, csgordos said:

I cannot tell you how absurd this is.  The Argument is purely wrong and absurd. If you switch the Orioles in the Indians in their divisions,  the Orioles win the central hands down. They were five writers who didn’t even vote for Hyde. Any writer who voted Boone ahead of Hyde should have their credentials revoked immediately!

I can see it.  Cleveland was super young, 19 rookies debuted and they were younger, on average, than AAA teams.

I'm not saying I agree but I don't think it's absurd.

The votes for Boone on the other hand....

3 minutes ago, csgordos said:

I cannot tell you how absurd this is.  The Argument is purely wrong and absurd. If you switch the Orioles in the Indians in their divisions,  the Orioles win the central hands down. They were five writers who didn’t even vote for Hyde. Any writer who voted Boone ahead of Hyde should have their credentials revoked immediately!

Well, there were four writers who didn’t vote for Francona, and seven who didn’t vote for Servais, so I’m not too offended that five didn’t vote for Hyde.   

I do think the O’s could have won the AL Central, seeing how the second place team won 81 games.   Would they have won 92 games like the Guardians did?  I very much doubt it.  But that doesn’t have much to do with who should win Manager of the Year anyway.  

Feancona did a great job with the Guardians, so congrats to him.  Hyde can win it next year when we win the AL East.  

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can see it.  Cleveland was super young, 19 rookies debuted and they were younger, on average, than AAA teams.

I'm not saying I agree but I don't think it's absurd.

The votes for Boone on the other hand....

Look at Cleveland’s OD roster of pitchers vs the Orioles.   It isn’t even close.  They beat Vegas over under in early August.  Hyde did something that hadn’t been done in over 120 years. How 5 writers didn’t even list him screams of the consistency of the anti-orioles bias in the media and MLB.   Franconia 2nd, absolutely, but the Orioles had a winning record playing in the AL East.  Max Scherzer made more money than the whole Orioles roster.  I cannot believe their is not more outrage. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Francona is a deserving winner.

But he’s not more deserving than Hyde.

Has any manager whose team won as few as 83 games ever won Manager of the Year?   I’m asking a factual question, not saying that’s how it should be.  

Almost everyone picked Cleveland last in the AL Central. If you look at the preseason articles they were often right there with the O's with zero writers predicting playoffs. They also had the youngest team in the MLB and the 3rd lowest payroll, but instead of finishing last, they won the division by 11 games.

The O's had a more dramatic year over year improvement but I think I might have voted for Francona.

• Upvote 1

You'd think leading a team that literally had the worst record in baseball to 4 games over .500 and just a hot week or so away from reaching the playoffs the very next year without any big trades or free agent signings would get you MOTY, but I guess Hyde just didn't have enough name value/recognition.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Just saw that Buck won in the NL.  I’m happy for him.  

I still love Buck but it really should have been Thompson in Philly, IMO. Their turnaround was nothing short of miraculous.

I guess he was penalized for not being the manager the entire year though.

• Upvote 1