Fangraphs’ Baumann: If the Orioles Were Serious About Competing, How Good Could They Get?

Frobby

I think Mike Baumann should be working on his cutter and not fantasizing about such silly things as the Orioles signing Aaron Judge and Justin Verlander. 

He didn't even include himself!!!!

:skeletor:

(This is sarcasm. I feel that having to state that it's sarcasm detracts from the admittedly meager humor the post conveys, but undoubtedly someone will go "It's not the same Mike Baumann, dummy!")

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think Mike Baumann should be working on his cutter and not fantasizing about such silly things as the Orioles signing Aaron Judge and Justin Verlander. 

He didn't even include himself!!!!

:skeletor:

(This is sarcasm. I feel that having to state that it's sarcasm detracts from the admittedly meager humor the post conveys, but undoubtedly someone will go "It's not the same Mike Baumann, dummy!")

Sarcastic Friends Tv GIF

As the poster of the article, I have to say it was pretty useless.  For one thing, it seems to operate from the premise that the O’s won’t actually be trying to compete next year.  There’s a difference between “trying to compete” and spending to the salary cap.   The article doesn’t acknowledge that the O’s probably will increase their payroll by a significant amount, though nowhere near the amount discussed in this article.   It seems to assume the team will continue to be at the very bottom of the barrel when it comes to spending, which actually is not that likely.  So, it gives no insight into what the O’s realistically could do.  Oh well.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As the poster of the article, I have to say it was pretty useless.  For one thing, it seems to operate from the premise that the O’s won’t actually be trying to compete next year.  There’s a difference between “trying to compete” and spending to the salary cap.   The article doesn’t acknowledge that the O’s probably will increase their payroll by a significant amount, though nowhere near the amount discussed in this article.   It seems to assume the team will continue to be at the very bottom of the barrel when it comes to spending, which actually is not that likely.  So, it gives no insight into what the O’s realistically could do.  Oh well.

Why is it not likely that they will be near the bottom?

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why is it not likely that they will be near the bottom?

I’m talking about dollars-wise, not necessarily where their payroll will rank.  This year (per BB-ref) the O’s payroll was 29th in baseball and less than $11 above the bottom.   I’m expecting they will still be in the bottom 10 somewhere, but probably $50 mm+above the floor and above several other teams.  Of course, we’ll see what actually happens.  This is just me reading the tea leaves.  

I would move back to Baltimore if this team happened.

In reality, could the O's do the Median of the Tax Threshold? 150 mil?

That exercise is more realistic. That gives us around 100 mil to add to current payroll for the upcoming season. I kinda like the Rodon Senga idea for the rotation

Turner at 2B would turn our middle into a vacuum; he would add a lot of defensive value especially with the shift ending. It could also mean 100 SBs between him, Mullins, and Mateo.

That puts us at about 70-80 Mill spent. With the remaining 20 Mil I probably extend Adley and Gunnar with a lighter front end/heavier back end deal. Keep a little pocket money around to see what slips to you closer to ST. Could still look to make upgrades through trades as well; that left over cash could help with some incoming salary too.

Rodon, Senga, GrayRod, Bradish, Kremer

Wells and Hall to the Bullpen

Adley

Mountcastle

Turner

Mateo

Henderson

Hays, Mullins, Stowers, Santander

The OF, 1B, and Pitching could look different depending on trades Elias makes