“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

59 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If you are shopping in the dumpster (Haniger) you might as well go internal. I don’t hate Wacha as the second guy ….if he’s the main I believe we’d be better off bringing Lyles back. That catcher is fine but I prefer Casali. Why waste $6 million on a generic RP as Elias is good at identifying gems.

Your proposal is a half hearted measure and significantly wastes payroll. If that is their best effort we should sell off Santander, Mullins, Urias, Mateo etc.

I don’t think Elias will waste money on half measures. The moves you are suggesting will just be adding to the problem. Poor OBP, Replace 180 IP guy & With a 130 iP guy, and 2 pieces of scrap.

My intentionally mediocre hypothetical example was simply to highlight that you can "significantly increase payroll" without significantly increasing the overall talent level of the team.

Those guys, plus arb raises for our in-house talent, would come out to a roughly 100% payroll increase. What you seem to be imagining is far more than that, which I suspect will leave you pretty disappointed come spring training.

I know there are a lot of folks on here that think given our current roster (majors and minors) adding a top SS doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I think the "checking in" is legit, but it's in parallel with everything else. There are plenty of scenarios were it makes sense, but I'm in agreement it probably doesn't makes sense unless we are using some of the minor league infield depth in trades. 

Given what guys like Eflin are getting, the Orioles may be exploring trades for SP rather than free agency (though the high price of arms in FA will in turn increase the cost for a trade). So adding someone like Correa for SS, putting Henderson at 3B, flipping one of Mateo or Urias along with some of the minor league depth for a SP or two may make sense. Adding a big bat even at SS also makes it easier to deal someone like Santander or Mullins from an offensive standpoint. 

I still don't know that it would be the best plan forward (nor is it one I expect Elias to take), but I'm glad the Orioles are exploring it in junction with other paths to improve the team.  

5 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I know there are a lot of folks on here that think given our current roster (majors and minors) adding a top SS doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I think the "checking in" is legit, but it's in parallel with everything else. There are plenty of scenarios were it makes sense, but I'm in agreement it probably doesn't makes sense unless we are using some of the minor league infield depth in trades. 

Given what guys like Eflin are getting, the Orioles may be exploring trades for SP rather than free agency (though the high price of arms in FA will in turn increase the cost for a trade). So adding someone like Correa for SS, putting Henderson at 3B, flipping one of Mateo or Urias along with some of the minor league depth for a SP or two may make sense. Adding a big bat even at SS also makes it easier to deal someone like Santander or Mullins from an offensive standpoint. 

I still don't know that it would be the best plan forward (nor is it one I expect Elias to take), but I'm glad the Orioles are exploring it in junction with other paths to improve the team.  

I don't really like the idea of signing any of these SS. They are going to require too long of a commitment and the back ends of these deals are going to be a mess. The only way it would make sense to me is it's on a heavily front loaded deal with an opt out after 2/3 years that all but guarantees the player will opt out. But with the age crop of this SS I'm not sure that any of them would find that sort of deal palatable -- these guys are looking to cash in.

Otherwise lets just roll with what we have and spend that money elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

From the O's perspective, it's due diligence. Possible it could turn into something, but due diligence nonetheless.

From the Agent's perspective it another "competitor" to point to in negotiations.

From Heyman's perspective it's clickbait.

Yeah, but what is due diligence in this case?

1. We are seriously interested.  Is there a number at which your guy would sign today?

2. Call us if you’re looking for another pillow Twins type contract 

3. We just like to call every agent and say hello.

12 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

I don't really like the idea of signing any of these SS. They are going to require too long of a commitment and the back ends of these deals are going to be a mess. The only way it would make sense to me is it's on a heavily front loaded deal with an opt out after 2/3 years that all but guarantees the player will opt out. But with the age crop of this SS I'm not sure that any of them would find that sort of deal palatable -- these guys are looking to cash in.

Otherwise lets just roll with what we have and spend that money elsewhere.

And that may be what they're checking in on. Honestly, I'm just happy that I finally feel like the front office is going for it and doing all the necessary background leg work. 

4 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

And that may be what they're checking in on. Honestly, I'm just happy that I finally feel like the front office is going for it and doing all the necessary background leg work. 

With any luck they are steering clear of this group of SS. I'm nearly certain every one of them is going to be bad deal in the end.

I'd really rather they just throw all the money at one of the older starting pitchers on 2/3 yr deals. I'd do 2/90 or 3/130 for Verlander or Degrom in a heartbeat. About half that for Bassitt. Those would also probably be bad deals, but the upside is greater too. Anyway, I'm off topic.

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, but what is due diligence in this case?

1. We are seriously interested.  Is there a number at which your guy would sign today?

2. Call us if you’re looking for another pillow Twins type contract 

3. We just like to call every agent and say hello.

Due diligence is information gathering so you can put it with the rest of your information and come up with options/a game plan.

Might be information that eliminates the option. Might be information that creates other options. We don't know.

The need-to-know-right-now in this and other threads is...well I'm just not like that I guess.

1 hour ago, owknows said:

I keep saying that Elias is going to corner the market by having ALL of the shortstops.

Hey …I think there’s reason to be optimistic. Until we see a move or 2 that’s bad

1 hour ago, interloper said:

"Guys who fit our ballpark" - any idea if the context was hitter or pitcher? Obviously she could mean both.

Anyone who wants to listen to the Eve Rosenbaum interview, click on the Youtube embedded in the Twitter link below.  It starts after the 19 minute mark and runs for 20 minutes.  A few tidbits I gleaned:

- The front office had meetings with Hyde and the hitting coaches this week to review development goals and routines for 2023 for every hitter on the team.  Plate discipline a major goal for Mateo (duh).

- The team expects to spend some money on FA’s, but “we’re not the Yankees or the Dodgers” so don’t expect them to “go crazy.”

- The team was not shocked by the Zac Eflin contract and understands that’s the market they’re competing in.  

- Team has specific targets based on how they’ll do in OPACY but also players the O’s think they can improve.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Anyone who wants to listen to the Eve Rosenbaum interview, click on the Youtube embedded in the Twitter link below.  It starts after the 19 minute mark and runs for 20 minutes.  A few tidbits I gleaned:

- The front office had meetings with Hyde and the hitting coaches this week to review development goals and routines for 2023 for every hitter on the team.  Plate discipline a major goal for Mateo (duh).

- The team expects to spend some money on FA’s, but “we’re not the Yankees or the Dodgers” so don’t expect them to “go crazy.”

- The team was not shocked by the Zac Eflin contract and understands that’s the market they’re competing in.  

- Team has specific targets based on how they’ll do in OPACY but also players the O’s think they can improve.  

That's good to hear about Eflin. I wouldn't say your synopsis is super encouraging but it's clear they will be active. I just hope whoever they sign won't be total headscratchers. 

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is what I was wondering. Are they aware of the market?