“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Es4M11 said:

Carlos Baerga is saying that the Mets and Verlander have a deal in place, 2yr w/ 3rd yr option.

So who gets Rodon? Then onto the next tier of Bassitt, Eovaldi, Walker, Taillon, Quintana, Wacha -- do the Orioles grab one of these arms?

Bassitt is definitely not happening now that he is going to get 4 years thanks to deGrom getting a 5th year from Texas and Eovaldi probably isn't good enough for Elias to sacrifice the pick, especially within the division. Walker will probably be too expensive in years, dollars, or both for our tastes, and Taillon's market is supposed to be pretty crowded according to reports, so I would guess the bidding surpasses what we would be willing to pay for him. 

So by process of elimination, I'll say Quintana or Wacha. If we can get a trade done for Pablo Lopez or Chris Flexen, then neither.

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

We know one thing is certain. Since they are going to add another SP that leaves 3 spots.   

Assuming health one of Kremer, Wells, Bradish and GRod will not be in the OD rotation. 

Never assume health when it comes to pitching! Teams need to factor in ~10 starting pitchers for the year, sometimes more. 

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Never assume health when it comes to pitching! Teams need to factor in ~10 starting pitchers for the year, sometimes more. 

I understand that. My point remains. If those 6 are healthy on OD one will not be in rotation. Obviously the Orioles know what’s going on with Wells. At end of day they will be adding 2 SP’s. There will be competition for the other 3 spots with Grod being a lock at some point. 

On 12/3/2022 at 9:56 AM, Just Regular said:

The Giants and Yankees decision trees have those Aaron Judge-sized forks.     

Good point. DeGrom, Verlander, Judge and maybe Rodon might need to fall before the next tier signs. 

Trades could happen while we wait though.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I understand that. My point remains. If those 6 are healthy on OD one will not be in rotation. Obviously the Orioles know what’s going on with Wells. At end of day they will be adding 2 SP’s. There will be competition for the other 3 spots with Grod being a lock at some point. 

A lot of teams are going to a 6 man staff. Makes sense given Rodriguez's year last year too. Don't want to eat all of his innings early.

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

A lot of teams are going to a 6 man staff. Makes sense given Rodriguez's year last year too. Don't want to eat all of his innings early.

I don’t see them going with a 6 man staff to start the year. Means one less bullpen arm. I can see them doing it later on, perhaps here and there but not a constant. 

I think this will be one of the Spring Training storylines.  

12 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

We know one thing is certain. Since they are going to add another SP that leaves 3 spots.   

Assuming health one of Kremer, Wells, Bradish and GRod will not be in the OD rotation. 

I think GrayRod, Kremer, and Bradish are all locks and that Wells only has a chance of not starting in the bullpen if no other SP is added. 

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Good point. DeGrom, Verlander, Judge and maybe Rodon might need to fall before the next tier signs. 

Trades could happen while we wait though.

All the buzz keeps saying Judge will be signed soon. Never know of course. I see Verlander to the Mets soon. Rodon will be the interesting one. That’s hard to predict. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

I don’t see them going with a 6 man staff to start the year. Means one less bullpen arm. I can see them doing it later on, perhaps here and there but not a constant. 

I think this will be one of the Spring Training storylines.  

I definitely think it's an option, particularly if they're comfortable with their bullpen and don't have a burning need for another bench bat.

But nothing's certain, that's for sure.

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I think GrayRod, Kremer, and Bradish are all locks and that Wells only has a chance of not starting in the bullpen if no other SP is added. 

Gibson's a lock more than Bradish or Kremer, IMO. 

If we add another high-level starter, that's a decent 5 for sure. Add 2 more and it's a luxury.

Just now, LookinUp said:

Gibson's a lock more than Bradish or Kremer, IMO. 

If we add another high-level starter, that's a decent 5 for sure. Add 2 more and it's a luxury.

Here is how I hope/see it lining up for the start of the season:

1. Kremer (they'll want to start with one of their own)

2. Free Agent (Bassitt/Taillon/Walker/Rodon?)

3. Bradish

4. Rodriguez (starts home opener)

5. Gibson

Wells and Voth as swing guys in the pen.

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

Here is how I hope/see it lining up for the start of the season:

1. Kremer (they'll want to start with one of their own)

2. Free Agent (Bassitt/Taillon/Walker/Rodon?)

3. Bradish

4. Rodriguez (starts home opener)

5. Gibson

Wells and Voth as swing guys in the pen.

Correction; home opener is not until game 7.  Still think that is how it starts out though, or something like that.