“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

17 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Just as a thought exercise if Rodon and Correa would both accept 6/210, who would you offer it to first?

Feels pretty likely Farhan will recycle much of his Judge bid to one (or both?) of those guys.

I would rather split that $35 million AAV between Chris Bassitt and JD Martinez on shorter deals to spread both the risk and the reward out a bit.

I do not believe we will sign any of the four though, but definitely not Rodon or Correa (nor should we).

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“Wrong side of his late 20’s?”  That’s a new one on me.  Pretty much every free agent fits that category, or worse.  Rodon will be 30 by the end of this week. 

Not sure about this, but I think it is more common for elite pitchers to keep performing into their 30's than SS's. Thinking of guys like Scherzer and Verlander. Is there a comparable SS, other than Cal? 

5 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Cardinals were floated as a potential Rodon destination. Yankees and Mets are probably out. Seems like the Giants are eyeing a big name SS which might take them out. Really curious where his market is right now. 

According to Heyman (hard to believe anything this clown says), Yankees are still in on Rodon.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

“Wrong side of his late 20’s?”  That’s a new one on me.  Pretty much every free agent fits that category, or worse.  Rodon will be 30 by the end of this week. 

I mean is it really news that MLB offensive players typically peak around 27 / 28? I feel like that's a pretty common sentiment in the industry. He also plays a position at which defensively players typically don't age well. And yes we could eventually move him to 1B or DH, but I'd argue that he'd basically be a league average bat at either of those positions and not nearly as much of an asset. Look at how quickly Robinson Cano fell off a cliff for example. 

52 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Not sure about this, but I think it is more common for elite pitchers to keep performing into their 30's than SS's. Thinking of guys like Scherzer and Verlander. Is there a comparable SS, other than Cal? 

100% accurate and Cal wasn't even very good offensively toward the tail end of his career. I know I'm oversimplifying a bit, but he basically had only 3-4 above average offensive seasons after the age of 30. 

30 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

What about Grienke he could probably be had for a one or two year deal? He’ be a solid veteran to mentor a young staff

A 39 year old right hander who only struck out 73 batters in 137 innings last season scares me to death. Also, I'm not sure if you're familiar with Greinke's well documented "quirks", but he is most definitely not the mentoring type. 

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

A 39 year old right hander who only struck out 73 batters in 137 innings last season scares me to death. Also, I'm not sure if you're familiar with Greinke's well documented "quirks", but he is most definitely not the mentoring type. 

I brought it up because I was reading this article. https://www.camdenchat.com/2022/12/5/23491281/orioles-free-agent-target-zack-greinke

2 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

100% accurate and Cal wasn't even very good offensively toward the tail end of his career. I know I'm oversimplifying a bit, but he basically had only 3-4 above average offensive seasons after the age of 30. 

Cal hit his peak at 30, and nailed an 11.5 WAR / 9.2 oWAR.

He was solid offensively until hitting a .9 oWAR at 39, thats 8 seasons.

4 hours ago, LTO's said:

Cardinals were floated as a potential Rodon destination. Yankees and Mets are probably out. Seems like the Giants are eyeing a big name SS which might take them out. Really curious where his market is right now. 

Rangers, Giants, Yankees, Padres, Cardinals, Orioles?

Rangers apparently met with Rodon even after signing Degrom.  Giants obviously have tons of money.   Padres made huge offers to Turner and Judge.   Yankees love  LHP in Yankee Stadium.   

Edited by RZNJ