“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Until someone offers him a greener pasture. Are the Red Sox about done with their front office?

Not sure but I know Houston still dosen’t have a GM supposedly Sig was on the list of potential candidates. I wouldn’t be surprised if Crane doesn’t go after them both. 

43 minutes ago, oriolefan1035 said:

I don’t think the pivot we make should be to add anyone. The strategy was to improve the rotation. That ship has sailed IMO. At this point, I just assume roll with what we have and see what we have with the prospects. Rather than trading several prospects for a few years of a #3 SP, let’s buy down some future costs for players we expect to be here long-term. Get Adley, Gunnar, and Grayson on 10yr deals to increase flexibility in the future.

I agree 100% and think that is the strategy, unfortunately the market price over the last month has gone much higher (it does make two to make a deal) and that may have affected the ability to pursue pitching.  What bothers me is that those that many of us liked on 1-2 year deals should not have affected the short term budget.  My nightmare scenario is that for whatever reason we fail to extend.

• Like 1

I doubt John and Louis got detail-oriented with Elias about expected MLB payroll in his year 5 during the interview process.

I believe Elias had that detail sometime in October to help him shape whatever quotes he chose to pass out, leading with "it doesn't make sense for me to tell Scott Boras this".

If you are John Angelos and at Game 150 in mid-September, there's still the chance a 10-2 finish accesses the tournament, are you still like "Well, this 9/15 2023 MLB Payroll appointment in my Outlook calendar is now" - gotta tell Mike if it is $60mm or $85mm.

Until there aren't there are still useful players out there for more tens of millions.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Until someone offers him a greener pasture. Are the Red Sox about done with their front office?

Remember lateral moves can and are blocked in baseball (see Steans in Milwaukee).  Elias would have to get a fancier title, say President of Baseball Operations.  

12 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Drew Smyly to the Cubs, so there's another SP off the board.

The box is getting smaller with Players, but also with Clubs and their roster spots.

Someone will be the best FA left after Christmas, and the momentum the market has, it doesn't seem like the Eovaldi-Wacha-Hill player will be that borderline, so good chance we'll get a view of the outcomes in the next few days.

Pitching being pitching, I do think the Taylor Rogers, Craig Kimbrel pair have some intrigue as well as Clubs put pieces together.

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

Sorry, way too broad a stroke by me-not just here but I see the lower # often quoted and know that is not the way it is budgeted.  I agree it should not affect spending.  Thanks for calling me out.

No biggie,I was not  trying to call anybody out,but I don't think I posted what site I got the Oriole payroll numbers. I have actually seen the Oriole payroll at $33 mm. or so  but don't think it includes the arbitration and deferred amounts. 

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

No biggie,I was not  trying to call anybody out,but I don't think I posted what site I got the Oriole payroll numbers. I have actually seen the Oriole payroll at $33 mm. or so  but don't think it includes the arbitration and deferred amounts. 

Corrected would be a better word on my part.  The older I get I realize how often I am wrong!!  I don't like to see the lower quotes as it builds expectations and the deferred and arb numbers are what they work off.  Remember Elias knew the deferred numbers when he came in.

34 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Or just wait until his current contract expires.

True, my guess and this is pure speculation based on other GM's is 5 years but we have not seen an extension which is the Orioles MO but could also be Elias's desire.  Remember when he signed reports were that he turned down the Giant's job (much more desirable to me) as he gained full control of baseball operations here.  I don't think he would accepted the job without that given the Angelos family history.  Whether ownership is living up to that I have no clue.  I do know for a fact Elias unlike some previous GM"S is very well thought of in baseball circles and be highly sought of if he leaves-unlike those other GM's