How much better would Carlos Correa make the O's?

wildcard

23 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

3.8 years for a HS 1st round player to reach the majors. Hoping and expecting are quite different things.

https://community.fangraphs.com/time-from-draft-until-majors/

That is interesting but I'd say the timeline for someone picked in the top five picks is probably on average different than someone picked in the supplemental first.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Stupid post … Henderson is going to play 3B. Ortiz isn’t ready and won’t be Correa when he is. And Holiday is a high school player that’s likely at very least 4 years out.

Stupid would be signing Correa for 10 years when we already have a 3 WAR SS and a superstar ready to come in within 3 years. Basically paying $300M for a couple WAR in the next two years. I know Gunnar is playing 3B but he is capable of SS and would keep Correa from sliding over when Holliday is ready. There are much better ways to spend $300M, especially if the goal in doing so is to acquire pitching.

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah I mean, to suggest Correa isn't a fit for this team is nonsense. Unless Gunnar Henderson is their guy at SS, which he isn't, no one in the farm system should be stopping Elias from pursuing any of the top SS on the market.

My whole thing is just do I believe we're actually in on him, like for real? Ehhh. I'd love it tho! 

Of course he'd be an upgrade for next year. The questions is whether he will be an upgrade in 2026-32. If not, are there better ways to spend $300M over that time?

• Upvote 1

He is one of the best players in baseball and would give the Orioles a true middle of the order hitter. I’m all for making the Orioles better and I hope they sign him.

Don’t be fooled into thinking the Orioles cannot afford him. Don’t be fooled into thinking any prospect is a sure thing. Don’t be fooled into being happy the organization is fighting for a wild card spot.

They have the core in place to compete for a long time and Carlos Correa would greatly improve their chances at winning a championship.

That being said I will be pleasantly surprised if they are even seriously considering signing him.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Although Gunnar just was  under 3 years .. 18 years old in 2019 and played 30 games after draft, no games in 2020, 2021 rocketed to Bowie, 2022 Bowie/Norfolk  till Aug promotion.. I would say that is 2 actual playing years.. sure he worked on stuff in 2020 but even if that year is included there he is 3 years max 

And he was a lower pick without Holliday's pedigree.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

He’s a 5+ WAR player but carry on

But he’s not replacing a zero war player..you do understand that, right?

And btw, he’s only been a 5+ fWAR guy twice in his career and one of those times was several years ago.  He’s a 3.5-4.5 WAR guy.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Yeah I mean, to suggest Correa isn't a fit for this team is nonsense. Unless Gunnar Henderson is their guy at SS, which he isn't, no one in the farm system should be stopping Elias from pursuing any of the top SS on the market.

My whole thing is just do I believe we're actually in on him, like for real? Ehhh. I'd love it tho! 

Any player can fit on any roster.  He’s just a dumb signing.

14 minutes ago, tabletop said:

He is one of the best players in baseball and would give the Orioles a true middle of the order hitter. I’m all for making the Orioles better and I hope they sign him.

Don’t be fooled into thinking the Orioles cannot afford him. Don’t be fooled into thinking any prospect is a sure thing. Don’t be fooled into being happy the organization is fighting for a wild card spot.

They have the core in place to compete for a long time and Carlos Correa would greatly improve their chances at winning a championship.

That being said I will be pleasantly surprised if they are even seriously considering signing him.

True middle of the order hitter?  Guess it depends on how you define that but he’s not some big power guy.  To me, he’s more of a 1 or 2 hole hitter.  

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Stupid would be signing Correa for 10 years when we already have a 3 WAR SS and a superstar ready to come in within 3 years. Basically paying $300M for a couple WAR in the next two years. I know Gunnar is playing 3B but he is capable of SS and would keep Correa from sliding over when Holliday is ready. There are much better ways to spend $300M, especially if the goal in doing so is to acquire pitching.

You know better than label a prospect a Superstar….remember Jeffrey Hammonds? Need I go on?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Even if Holliday fizzles out, Correa isn’t even likely to be a SS in 3 years yet you are going to be paying him SS money.  Just a dumb thing to do.

I’m not thinking about paying him and like you don’t get a say. But, apparently Elias is if the rumors are true. Before the stuff today there rumors that he had some understanding with him. And that it wasn’t time when he signed his deal with the Twins. Is it true? I have no idea.

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m not thinking about paying him and like you don’t get a say. But, apparently Elias is if the rumors are true. Before the stuff today there rumors that he had some understanding with him. And that it wasn’t time when he signed his deal with the Twins. Is it true? I have no idea.

There are no rumors.  These accounts aren’t vetted insiders. It’s as reliable as you posting it.