How much better would Carlos Correa make the O's?

wildcard

Contract estimates range from 8 to 10 year;  240-300M.    Rumors are flying.   Is Elias really in on him?   How much would he improve the team?   Is he worth that kind of contract to the O's?  What about Ortiz and Holliday?

Time to weigh in.

Edited by wildcard

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Correa is a terrific player, but we have so many good options at SS that we should spend our money elsewhere.  

I'd agree. I do wonder if Elias views Correa as the sure thing that lets him package some of the other guys for an ace. Like any RH power hitter, I also wonder how Correa would play in NuCamden. 

The only Bat good enough to bypass Arms for with $$$ if Elias has $30-$40mm.     An infielder who makes all of Mateo, Urias, Westburg, Ortiz and Norby spare parts, and someone to protect Adley from full face of franchise responsibilities for a little while longer.

I wouldn't even complain as much about Spenser Watkins or Jordan Lyles returning to the bump.

Come 2025 either Correa or Holliday plays 2B, but two years to sort that out.

The basic Padres Machado scenario except the big league team is already better, and Adley feels safer than Tatis if lacking his upside.

• Upvote 4

First, I don't think we are in on him.  Middle infield is one place where we have a TON of talent waiting in the wings.  That said Correa is an awesome talent.  Problem is, he is 28.  I'd LOVE to sign him for 7-8 years, don't really like going longer than that though.  Those last few years could be brutal on a 10 year contract.  If we sign him, then I hope we have a blockbuster deal arranged to trade some of our then surplus middle infield talent for some starting pitching help.  But I think we spend our money elsewhere.  

49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Contract estimates range from 8 to 10 year;  240-300M.    Rumors are flying.   Is Elias really in on him?   How much would he improve the team?   Is he worth that kind of contract to the O's?  What about Ortiz and Holliday?

Time to weigh in.

He’d be at or near the top in WAR and OBP.

First of all, neither Ortiz nor Mateo should be in a conversation regarding Correa. Correa is so, SO far and away the better player right now that it's not even a question of which guy I'd take. Ortiz might turn out to be a nice player, but come on. It would be nuts to say no to Correa because of Joey Ortiz. 

Holliday is another story, and Gunnar if you like him at SS, which I do not, I like him at 3B. But Holliday is a few years away and we know very little about him as a player still and winning organizations do not let guys like Holliday stop them from upgrading a position in a competitive year.

That said, Elias said he's not going 0-60 this offseason. To me, that would indicate we are out of the "big 4" shortstops, and the top tier of SP. But if that's a bluff, then Correa is a very good player who would provide an incredible middle infield right now: 

1B Mountcastle
2B Urias/Westburg/Ortiz/Norby prospect city, baby
SS Correa
3B Gunnar

Bench
Mateo

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, deward said:

I'd agree. I do wonder if Elias views Correa as the sure thing that lets him package some of the other guys for an ace. Like any RH power hitter, I also wonder how Correa would play in NuCamden. 

If we're going to spend $30M AAV, might as well just buy an Ace and roll with Gunnar/Holliday/Ortiz. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, interloper said:

First of all, neither Ortiz nor Mateo should be in a conversation regarding Correa. Correa is so, SO far and away the better player right now that it's not even a question of which guy I'd take. Ortiz might turn out to be a nice player, but come on. It would be nuts to say no to Correa because of Joey Ortiz. 

Holliday is another story, and Gunnar if you like him at SS, which I do not, I like him at 3B. But Holliday is a few years away and we know very little about him as a player still and winning organizations do not let guys like Holliday stop them from upgrading a position in a competitive year.

That said, Elias said he's not going 0-60 this offseason. To me, that would indicate we are out of the "big 4" shortstops, and the top tier of SP. But if that's a bluff, then Correa is a very good player who would provide an incredible middle infield right now: 

1B Mountcastle
2B Urias/Westburg/Ortiz/Norby prospect city, baby
SS Correa
3B Gunnar

Bench
Mateo

Adding Correa at 30million wouldn’t be 0-60. Bumping the payroll from 45 to 200 would be.