Orioles interested in Syndergaard?

Snutchy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

"Decent enough".   Quite the ringing endorsement.  He would be a poor addition.

He's enough better than Spenser Watkins to matter a little.

Him getting an early mention makes me wonder if the pitching strategists are looking at a 6-man rotation game plan.     Grayson, Hall and Wells (aka, the better upside pitchers) need it for 2023, being practical.   Bradish and Kremer aren't world beaters such that adjusting their goals from 32 to 27 starts will hurt the yearend basket of pitching performance much.

For start of year I'm mostly agnostic on if Wells and Hall have the Keegan Akin role or a traditional SP role.    Pitch as well as April Rodrigo Lopez or John Means their first years and it will all work out.    Clubs more universally protecting average SP from facing more than 18 Batters much give plenty of guys runway for 100+ innings if they can pitch well enough to take them.

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Noah is the kind of a guy you sign to be a #5 starter on a good team, #4 at best. You don’t want to bank on him. This team needs something more. Now if they signed him as a second arm added so be it. 

If you sign him as a second arm, that tells me Wells goes to the pen and they aren’t ready for Hall to be in the rotation.

Im ok with both of those things but the question I have is simply this. Is Noah better than Wells?  I don’t think he is and he certainly isn’t to the point where the money difference is worth it.

26 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

He's enough better than Spenser Watkins to matter a little.

Him getting an early mention makes me wonder if the pitching strategists are looking at a 6-man rotation game plan.     Grayson, Hall and Wells (aka, the better upside pitchers) need it for 2023, being practical.   Bradish and Kremer aren't world beaters such that adjusting their goals from 32 to 27 starts will hurt the yearend basket of pitching performance much.

For start of year I'm mostly agnostic on if Wells and Hall have the Keegan Akin role or a traditional SP role.    Pitch as well as April Rodrigo Lopez or John Means their first years and it will all work out.    Clubs more universally protecting average SP from facing more than 18 Batters much give plenty of guys runway for 100+ innings if they can pitch well enough to take them.

With the amount of innings our guys went last year, you almost need a 6 man rotation. In that case, you need a few guys in the pen who can go 2-3 innings at a time. 

Also, where do you get Wells being a higher upside than Bradish?

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you sign him as a second arm, that tells me Wells goes to the pen and they aren’t ready for Hall to be in the rotation.

Im ok with both of those things but the question I have is simply this. Is Noah better than Wells?  I don’t think he is and he certainly isn’t to the point where the money difference is worth it.

But if the O's sign Noah they would have both.   The O's need another starter that can put up an ERA under 4.00.   How much under 4 may depend on how much Holt can help him.

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

With the amount of innings our guys went last year, you almost need a 6 man rotation. In that case, you need a few guys in the pen who can go 2-3 innings at a time. 

Also, where do you get Wells being a higher upside than Bradish?

A 6 man rotation is a non starter IMO.  It takes a pitcher out of the pen.  That is stress that the pen does not need.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It doesn’t have to be worth it.  Syndergaard starting and Wells to the pen makes us a better team overall.  Wells has had arm fatigue/issues both years.   Assuming Wells can start 29-30 games is a bigger leap than Thor starting 29-30 games.   Plus, the old ripple effect in the bullpen.    
Syndergaard was worth 2.2 fwar as a shell of his former self.   There could be some upside there if more velocity returns.

• Upvote 1

I guess this is the new norm now with a lot of these meetings taking place over zoom. Wonder how a presentation looks compared to bringing them in and showing them around the ballpark and certain areas. Maybe these are just initial meetings and if you make it to a second date then you get a live meeting.

If we get Rodon/Bassitt/similar type with Noah as the #2 or #3 I guess that’s okay. 

There are some things to like, others not so much. His K rate was 6.3 last year and it dipped after the trade to Philly, neither are good. His FIP was respectable. 

IMO, this would be a confident move by Elias and Co., essentially gambling on their analytics and methods in order to tease a better performance from him than he had last year.  The gamble isn’t necessarily on Thor, it’s a bet on if they can do for him what they did last year for several pitchers who performed better than expectations. 

I wouldn’t be upset if we got him and paired him with someone better like Bassit. If he’s our only pickup that’s not good. 

Edited by Moose Milligan

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It doesn’t have to be worth it.  Syndergaard starting and Wells to the pen makes us a better team overall.  Wells has had arm fatigue/issues both years.   Assuming Wells can start 29-30 games is a bigger leap than Thor starting 29-30 games.   Plus, the old ripple effect in the bullpen.    
Syndergaard was worth 2.2 fwar as a shell of his former self.   There could be some upside there if more velocity returns.

I would prefer Wells in the pen.  

I have said I want them to add 2 starters.

Just don’t see Noah as enough of an upgrade that he is worth signing.  If it’s 1 or even 2 years, I would be ok with it but  certainly not excited.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think Hall should be anywhere around the rotation. Wells is hard to call. I like him but also many questions. Of course many questions about Noah. 

You could have 

Kremer 

Wells

Bradish 

FA1

FA2

Then Grod takes over a spot when needed. If they are all throwing well then great. Can still give Grayson starts. Never an issue to have too many good starters. Odds of all of DK, TW and KB being productive and healthy aren’t real high to me. Would be great bonus if they did. Either way I can’t see them signing a second arm for beyond one year. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t think Hall should be anywhere around the rotation. Wells is hard to call. I like him but also many questions. Of course many questions about Noah. 

You could have 

Kremer 

Wells

Bradish 

FA1

FA2

Then Grod takes over a spot when needed. If they are all throwing well then great. Can still give Grayson starts. Never an issue to have too many good starters. Odds of all of DK, TW and KB being productive and healthy aren’t real high to me. Would be great bonus if they did. Either way I can’t see them signing a second arm for beyond one year. 

GROd will start the season in the rotation, as long as he’s healthy.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Today’s version of Syndergaard might not be the overpowering one that earned the nickname ‘Thor’ at the Mets, but it still amounts to a very valuable pitcher, and he’s still young enough that perhaps he can claw back some of that lost velocity in 2023. MLBTR predicted Syndergaard would receive a three-year, $36MM deal this winter.

Sorta the "love" Thor... Instead of the "thunder" Thor.

• Haha 1