Orioles sign Kyle Gibson

eddie83

54 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What Elias sees as a feature, I see as a bug.  The O's are now locked into a lot of innings and starts that are likely to be mediocre.  And even if Gibson pitches no better than he did last year in Philadelphia (or no better than Lyles was last year in Baltimore), the O''s will keep him in the rotation because they have $10 million invested in him.   The O's already have better internal options available, and the problem will only be magnified if the O's sign or trade for a better starter later on.  

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

For people who thought Gibson was only getting $5 mm. ,that would be ridiculous in this market. His agent should be fired immediately if that was the deal.

I was expecting it to be like $8 million. Crazy that Gibson got more than Clevinger. Speaking of guys that need to fire their agents...

The more I look at this deal, it really is perfect market value for a pitcher like Gibson. He truly is a couple ticks above Lyles when you look at their numbers over the past 3 seasons. I think 10 mil for Gibson over 11 mil for Lyles is a much better investment.  Plus Gibson has been an All Star, he's played in a World Series, and he's been much more consistent over his career than Lyles. He's even been more consistent at eating innings over his career than Lyles who is pretty good at it himself.

I'm okay with this deal and Elias will be getting 1 or 2 more via Trade or FA. I wonder if he goes with a 6 man rotation this season.

FA/Trade, Gray Rod, Bradish, Gibson, Kremer

BP: Hall, Wells, Bautista, Baker, Perez, Akin, Tate, Voth

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Discouraging 

What is he going to say?   "Well, we tried to get some other guys to take that 10 million, but we settled for Kyle."?  

I think we can take what they say at this time of year with a grain of salt.    Now, in fairness, it seems like a move that could have been made later.   Maybe Gibson wanted to get this done quickly.  Who knows...I think we just can't take the "GM-speak" too literal.  

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

What is he going to say?   "Well, we tried to get some other guys to take that 10 million, but we settled for Kyle."?  

I think we can take what they say at this time of year with a grain of salt.    Now, in fairness, it seems like a move that could have been made later.   Maybe Gibson wanted to get this done quickly.  Who knows...I think we just can't take the "GM-speak" too literal.  

If he had other teams with the same offer you can't string him along.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, connja said:

Why not just pick up the option on Lyles?  These guys are identical, no?  At least you know Lyles was a great fit in the clubhouse.

Because Gibson is better but that doesn’t mean he will have a better year.

The better question is, why have either of them at all?  

8 hours ago, ScGO's said:

The more I look at this deal, it really is perfect market value for a pitcher like Gibson. He truly is a couple ticks above Lyles when you look at their numbers over the past 3 seasons. I think 10 mil for Gibson over 11 mil for Lyles is a much better investment.  Plus Gibson has been an All Star, he's played in a World Series, and he's been much more consistent over his career than Lyles. He's even been more consistent at eating innings over his career than Lyles who is pretty good at it himself.

I'm okay with this deal and Elias will be getting 1 or 2 more via Trade or FA. I wonder if he goes with a 6 man rotation this season.

FA/Trade, Gray Rod, Bradish, Gibson, Kremer

BP: Hall, Wells, Bautista, Baker, Perez, Akin, Tate, Voth

I'm feeling the same. The more I see the actual contracts these pitchers are getting, it is apparent these guys were out of our league from the beginning. They want to go to big market playoff teams for top dollar.  If they would come at all they would take a Chris Davis type of overpay. It sucks but I'm glad we aren't going to $200m on Degrom. Should we even do a wow offer to get Bassit or Eovaldi? I'm really not sure we should. Gibson is not exciting but he's an incremental upgrade over Lyles. 

The more interesting quote was "we can get anyone available on the market" in trade. That's interesting.