Orioles sign Kyle Gibson

eddie83

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

No, probably not, but we are wasting at least 1 rotation spot on another mediocre Lyles-type placeholder instead of actually improving that rotation spot in any sort of meaningful way, and that is a bummer.

Ok. I agree that Gibson is underwhelming.  

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Did you think they were going to add 2 high priced SP? 

They’ve got the room in the payroll and the need for it in the rotation. It isn’t an unreasonable hope. I’m not talking top tier but Gibson is bottle of the barrel.

15 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He's old and he sucks and he's pretty much always sucked.

Likewise.

No, I had no delusions about making a real run at Rodon or Verlander or deGrom, but I still thought we might aim higher than "marginal improvement (if even that) over Jordan Lyles." 

So your response to a statistic is just a "he's old and he sucks and he's pretty much always sucked."  That basically much sums up that you don't intend on putting much real thought into this one. 

There just aren't many valid criticisms to this move until you see what else we do. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, oriole said:

They’ve got the room in the payroll and the need for it in the rotation. It isn’t an unreasonable hope. I’m not talking top tier but Gibson is bottle of the barrel.

No he isn’t. He is a durable 4/5 SP. 

Once again if they stop here I will be at the front of the line complaining.  

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. I agree that Gibson is underwhelming.  

Lateral moves like replacing Lyles with Gibson simply are not going to cut it in the AL East, especially when regression is likely from most of our existing rotation options.

1 minute ago, Big Mac said:

So your response to a statistic is just a "he's old and he sucks and he's pretty much always sucked."  That basically much sums up that you don't intend on putting much real thought into this one. 

There just aren't many valid criticisms to this move until you see what else we do. 

FIP is cute and all, and it does have its uses,  but the guy is 35 and has pitched 10 years at the MLB level and has posted an ERA of ~4.50 or higher in 7 of those 10 seasons, including ERAs north of 5.00 in 2 of the last 3 years.

He simply isn't good.

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Lateral moves like replacing Lyles with Gibson simply are not going to cut it in the AL East, especially when regression is likely from most of our existing rotation options.

FIP is cute and all, and it does have its uses,  but the guy is 35 and has pitched 10 years at the MLB level and has posted an ERA of ~4.50 or higher in 7 of those 10 seasons, including ERAs north of 5.00 in 2 of the last 3 years.

He simply isn't good.

You don't think pitching with that Phillies defense behind him might cause his ERA to deviate from his FIP a little bit?  I don't think he's very good, but he is a useful back-end starter and having him pushes all of those deep depth rotation pieces we don't really want to use back one spot.

Just now, Big Mac said:

You don't think pitching with that Phillies defense behind him might cause his ERA to deviate from his FIP a little bit?  I don't think he's very good, but he is a useful back-end starter and having him pushes all of those deep depth rotation pieces we don't really want to use back one spot.

Not in any incredibly significant way, no. He has been generally mediocre, and often terrible, for a full decade now. Not just with the Phillies.

Replacing Lyles with Gibson is a lateral move at best in an offseason where improvement should be the goal.

Last year among MLB Arms throwing 100 IP, Austin Voth led the Orioles in K-BB%, finishing 87th of 140.

Kyle Gibson was 86th.     New king of the hill!

I'd hoped for two arms better than this, but can live with it for Pitcher B to get to the trade deadline in decent order.

Last year Gibson helped PHI to its wildcard, then pitched twice all October facing 6 batters and 4 batters the twice a playoff competitor chose to use him.

If we still get two pitchers better than him, start moving the Grayson Rodriguez spring innings over/under.     It is at least ballast, leverage, whatever for Miami trade talks, future talks with Bassitt, Eovaldi, whoever.     This for me should take Syndergaard out of the picture.

7 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t get the hate for this signing. He’s a Lyles replacement who’s slightly better, and probably paid less than Lyles option. There’s no indication they’re now done with SP. 

See, the thing is, I'm not convinces he's any better than Lyles. Lyles had a better season last year.