Orioles sign Kyle Gibson

eddie83

I guess he checks the "veteran innings eater" box, but I thought the O's were aiming higher than that this off season.  He may be better than Jordan Lyles, but that's not saying much.  The bottom line is that he has been a below-average pitcher for his career according to BB-Ref.  Who would you want to bump to have him in the rotation?  I'd rather have Voth, Wells, Bradish, Kremer and GrayRod.  

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

I don’t see the need for a back end of the rotation guy.  We have Kremer, Bradish, GRod who all should be in the rotation.  I think we need a guy at the top of the rotation then would rather let Wells and Voth compete for the 5th spot then paying 8+ million for a fifth starter.  

It makes you wonder if Kremer or Bradish are in play for a trade 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I don’t see the need for a back end of the rotation guy.  We have Kremer, Bradish, GRod who all should be in the rotation.  I think we need a guy at the top of the rotation then would rather let Wells and Voth compete for the 5th spot then paying 8+ million for a fifth starter.  

Means: got hurt

Wells: got hurt

Kremer: got hurt

Zimmermann: got optioned

46 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

It was intentional hyperbole that was supposed to sound immature and petulant, but there is a kernel of truth to it. He has played 10 years the MLB level and has posted an ERA north of 5.00 in 5 of those 10 seasons and ~4.50 or higher in 7 of those 10 seasons. 

I feel like Gibson is one of those guys who never posts a stellar ERA but who pitches well more often than not.  Take last year for example.  He made 15 quality starts, and another 3 games where he pitched 5+ and allowed 2 ER or fewer.  One other game with 4.1 IP and 1 ER.   So, that’s 19 games where he have the team a really good chance to win. The other 12 were a completely different story.  He really got knocked around in those games.  

7 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

Only Adley and Gunnar should be untouchable. I can see one of these two on the move. 

I definitely see it being possible.  We have too many young pitchers on the roster right now fighting for a spot before you count Hall and Grayson, and another signing or trade.  Even if you move Wells to the bullpen again, you still have an excess.  

24 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I guess he checks the "veteran innings eater" box, but I thought the O's were aiming higher than that this off season.  He may be better than Jordan Lyles, but that's not saying much.  The bottom line is that he has been a below-average pitcher for his career according to BB-Ref.  Who would you want to bump to have him in the rotation?  I'd rather have Voth, Wells, Bradish, Kremer and GrayRod.  

The Passan tweet says we aren't done yet. He could be wrong but signing Gibson does not mean we are out on Rodon/Eovaldi/Bassit. I guess Gibson means we aren't signing two of those guys...

I would definitely bump Wells. He has pitched great in the bullpen and with his injury history that may be where he is most effective. He would be an upgrade over Krehbiel and could be stretched out if needed.

Then if we sign a TOR guy we bump Voth, who could also move to the pen or become a sneaky trade piece. If not, Gibson signing makes sure we have at least one dependable 150 inning guy.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

The Passan tweet says we aren't done yet. He could be wrong but signing Gibson does not mean we are out on Rodon/Eovaldi/Bassit. I guess Gibson means we aren't signing two of those guys...

I would definitely bump Wells. He has pitched great in the bullpen and with his injury history that may be where he is most effective. He would be an upgrade over Krehbiel and could be stretched out if needed.

Then if we sign a TOR guy we bump Voth, who could also move to the pen or become a sneaky trade piece. If not, Gibson signing makes sure we have at least one dependable 150 inning guy.

We're not done but we gotta stop pretending we're in on Rodon. It's a pipe dream. Eovaldi and Bassitt sure.

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I feel like Gibson is one of those guys who never posts a stellar ERA but who pitches well more often than not.  Take last year for example.  He made 15 quality starts, and another 3 games where he pitched 5+ and allowed 2 ER or fewer.  One other game with 4.1 IP and 1 ER.   So, that’s 19 games where he have the team a really good chance to win. The other 12 were a completely different story.  He really got knocked around in those games.  

That doesn't sound a lot different from Lyles last year, which isn't worthless, but it's not a needle mover either, especially in the AL East.

29 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

What about Gibson :)

He might be, like, 5% better than Lyles next year, maybe even 10% if we get really lucky 😋

46 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Came here to see the overreaction to this and you guys did not disappoint!  

The winter meetings haven’t even started yet. It’s December 3rd. But don’t let that stop anyone from whining about how our off-season sucks blah blah blah. 

SMH. 

Some people foolishly expected that Lyles would replaced with someone legitimately better, a rookie mistake that even I myself fell into despite following this team for 30 years.

The one thing I am confident in is that Holt knows all about Gibson.  The pitches he throws, their shape, how consistent they are, what has worked for him and what has not.  And he knows what he can do to improve him.

Look at the pitchers that improved this past year under Holt: Kremer, Bradish, Lyles, Voth, Wells, Bautista, Perez, Tate, Akin, Baker...

I can't agree that Gibson is a back of the rotation starter.   Not after he spends ST with Holt.

Edited by wildcard