Orioles sign Kyle Gibson

eddie83

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I don't care if we trade for Alcantara tonight, this is a joke of a move. He's a 35 year old with a 4.52 career ERA that has posted an ERA north of 5.00 in 2 of the last 3 seasons. It would have been fine in lieu of Lyles last year but we should actually be trying to replace mediocre players with good players now that the clock is ticking on Adley.

His FIP over the last two seasons is 4.02.  

Hmm funny, yes, but not funny haha. Funny, weird 

I’m kidding, this is a Lyles type of move and not a big deal assuming there’s more. If there’s not more than it’s an admission of defeat and a waste of having decent young players. But it’s too soon to think like that.

I’d probably have just preferred to re-sign Lyles 

2 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Last season Jordan Lyles had a 1.0 WAR and Kyle Gibson had a 0.7 WAR.  Plus, Gibson is 3 years older than Lyles. 

Gibson has a much better overall track record than Lyles. Much higher established ceiling. Fangraphs has him beating Lyles in WAR last year, bbref likes Lyles. I have no problem replacing Lyles with Gibson but hope they aren't done. The Passan tweet is encouraging. 

8 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I don't care if we trade for Alcantara tonight, this is a joke of a move. He's a 35 year old with a 4.52 career ERA that has posted an ERA north of 5.00 in 2 of the last 3 seasons. It would have been fine in lieu of Lyles last year but we should actually be trying to replace mediocre players with good players now that the clock is ticking on Adley.

Did you think they were going to add 2 high priced SP? 

22 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

BBREF had Gibson at 0.7 WAR and Lyles at 1.0. 

Even if you reject that assessment in favor of Fangraph's, I really would have hoped the bar for this offseason would be higher than "marginal improvement over Jordan Lyles," but oh well, maybe we'll finally be ready to try to compete in 2024.

Way too early to give up on the off-season. Actually the last part of Passan's tweet is very encouraging more so than the Gibson news. Even if we don't sign anyone else there are numerous trade possibilities that Elias has hinted about.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

His FIP over the last two seasons is 4.02.  

He's old and he sucks and he's pretty much always sucked.

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

I’d probably have just preferred to re-sign Lyles

Likewise.

Just now, eddie83 said:

Did you think they were going to add 2 high priced SP? 

No, I had no delusions about making a real run at Rodon or Verlander or deGrom, but I still thought we might aim higher than "marginal improvement (if even that) over Jordan Lyles." 

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He's old and he sucks and he's pretty much always sucked.

Likewise.

No, I had no delusions about making a real run at Rodon or Verlander or deGrom, but I still thought we might aim higher than "marginal improvement (if even that) over Jordan Lyles." 

So you think they’re done as far as the rotation goes?

I consider Gibson a slightly better version of Lyles.  Very reliable arm who has pitched enough innings to qualify five years in a row.  Only a small handful of pitchers have a longer streak than that.  Career ERA+ of 94 tops Lyles’ 83, but last year they were flip-flopped with Lyles posting a 94 and Gibson an 81.

The switch from Lyles to Gibson is not a significant needle-mover, and I hope there’s a much bigger upgrade in store.

I know people will puke all over this move, like they did with the Lyles move last year.   But for me it could be okay depending on what else they do.   

• Upvote 1