Orioles sign Kyle Gibson

eddie83

2 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

He's better than Lyles based on WAR.  Now did we pay him less?

BBREF had Gibson at 0.7 WAR and Lyles at 1.0. 

Even if you reject that assessment in favor of Fangraph's, I really would have hoped the bar for this offseason would be higher than "marginal improvement over Jordan Lyles," but oh well, maybe we'll finally be ready to try to compete in 2024.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well I guess this is their Jordan Lyles-type signing. 

Other than his sinker he had good numbers last year against his other offerings. Maybe they plan to have him use it less and get better production from him?

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/kyle-gibson-502043?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=gibsoky01&year=2022&t=p

Interesting, I don't know how to use the site well.  Did he change significantly from 2021?  Could he be a 3+ WAR Pitcher with analytics?  Did Texas have a significant analytics department and Philly doesnt?

People are letting last season cloud this comparison.  Gibson is a much better pitcher than Lyles.  Gibson has 14.1 career WAR and a 4.29 career FIP compared to Lyles -1.4 and 4.68.  This is fine for a one year deal to build the rotation depth.

Now if this is all we do to address the rotation then yes, people should complain.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Last season Jordan Lyles had a 1.0 WAR and Kyle Gibson had a 0.7 WAR.  Plus, Gibson is 3 years older than Lyles. 

Kyle Gibson was once an all star, Jordan Lyles had his best season ever last year.

Per fangrahs, was worth 1.8WAR last year to Lyles 1.4.  And has had years of 2.6/2.6/3.0.

Not to say this is a guy I dreamed of, but it's an improvement over Lyles on the surface.  Hoping for Rodon/Bassitt/Eovaldi now.

12 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Once again this is all about timing. 

If Gibson would have come after a significant SP people view it differently. Getting out of PHilly should help him. I assume analytics dept liked him. 

They better not stop here. 

I don't care if we trade for Alcantara tonight, this is a joke of a move. He's a 35 year old with a 4.52 career ERA that has posted an ERA north of 5.00 in 2 of the last 3 seasons. It would have been fine in lieu of Lyles last year but we should actually be trying to replace mediocre players with good players now that the clock is ticking on Adley.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1