Elias targeting LH starters?

Sports Guy

Still love Miami as a trade partner.  Luzardo should be available in addition to Rogers if LHP is the filter.  Personally I still like Lopez the best out of Miami's presumptive available starting pitchers even though he's right handed.  I hope ME is working that angle as hard as he can.

There's no rule that says Elias can't add three SP and that's what I'm hoping happens, but Heaney is too much of an injury risk for my taste and for that reason I'm glad the Rodon is probably off the table too.

4 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Quintana or Manaea are also out there.

If our rotation "upgrades" are Gibson and Manaea, I might laugh so hard that I need to be taken to the ER with multiple broken ribs lol.

Did you really expect better? We need to be the highest bidder and they need to agree to pitch in Baltimore. Elias is not the type to overpay. I hope we get someone better than Manaea but it's probably going to be someone in that range if they come from free agency. 

After 61 years of Orioles fandom I love me some reclamation projects.  Currently Mullins, Urias, Mateo, Santander all qualify as reclamation projects by some rational definition of the term.  It wouldn't be Orioles baseball without a couple of mutts to root for each year IMO.

On the subject of starting pitching, now that Gibson is on board, at least we have one Actual Major League Starting Pitcher while we wait for Means to recover.  I'm all for Kremer, Bradish, Voth and (who's the other guy?) developing their talent and Lord knows I'm a huge Grayson Rodriguez fan, but silly me, I think we could use a couple more AMLSP's in the interim even if they come without the gold plating.

7 minutes ago, 24fps said:

After 61 years of Orioles fandom I love me some reclamation projects.  Currently Mullins, Urias, Mateo, Santander all qualify as reclamation projects by some rational definition of the term.  It wouldn't be Orioles baseball without a couple of mutts to root for each year IMO.

On the subject of starting pitching, now that Gibson is on board, at least we have one Actual Major League Starting Pitcher while we wait for Means to recover.  I'm all for Kremer, Bradish, Voth and (who's the other guy?) developing their talent and Lord knows I'm a huge Grayson Rodriguez fan, but silly me, I think we could use a couple more AMLSP's in the interim even if they come without the gold plating.

Mullins was our own draft pick, so I don't think you can call him a reclamation project, and the others you list were all brought in during the lows of the rebuild, which is now over and should be pivoting to a competitive phase. We are past the point where we need mediocre placeholders like Lyles and Gibson. 

Manaea and Heaney are different risk-reward profiles, and either would be helpful.

2021 Rodon completed three quarters of an excellent season to 2022 Heaney's one half, plus has 1.5 years of youth and even superior pedigree, but Heaney with Dodger support pitched very well last year.    I'll grant some of the enthusiasm is at the opening bell of last offseason, LAD actions simply said "we want him", plus curiosity to stress test the Wall with a pitcher whose high ERA's have at times been driven by being homer prone.

Manaea's safer innings, and I think Elias' taste between the two if we end up with one of them might say a little about how much he really thinks he can get out of Kremer-Bradish-Wells-Voth behind Gibson.

I think that pair has some gap on Quintana-Smyly-R. Hill down the LHP list - those are the guys for me without upside.    

18 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Mullins was our own draft pick, so I don't think you can call him a reclamation project, and the others you list were all brought in during the lows of the rebuild, which is now over and should be pivoting to a competitive phase. We are past the point where we need mediocre placeholders like Lyles and Gibson. 

After 2019, Mullins was ticketed for the dumpster and was minutes away from landing there when he decided to stop switch hitting.  At that point, he had played his way off the Orioles and they fed him just a little more rope.  And he responded.

Presumably if a player is "brought in during the lows of the rebuild" he is automatically categorized as incapable of contributing beyond a certain arbitrary point known as "competitive phase" which several of these unworthy players brought the team to in the first place.  It may be that Mateo, Urias and Santander won't be around in 2025 - or maybe they will be - but right now they deserve a bit more credit than you're giving them.

Lyles is gone, so I don't know why you're still mentioning him, but acquiring Gibson on a one-year contract is the sort of solid professional move during a transitional year that only increases my respect for Elias.  Elias's pedigree is the Houston Astros and it's worth remembering that they increased their payroll threefold from 2014 to 2017.  I think Baltimore has reached the same window.  I expect the Orioles' payroll to be around 50% greater in 2023 from 2022 and around  the same increase in 2024.  Plenty of room for a couple of Mateos, Bradishes, Hayses and the like to contribute a little while longer.  Realistically it's not like there's much choice anuwau