Left-hander starter potential options through trades

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The Marlins don't have much money to spend and CF and 1B are much bigger needs for them than COF/DH, so Santander at $7-8 million in his penultimate year of control does not seem like someone they would have a ton of interest in.

Offer to take on Soler's contract ($15M)  as part of the deal and make him our DH. for 2023. Problem solved. 

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Why on Earth would they want to trade him? He's young, cheap, has tons of control, and a lot of upside. He's exactly the kind of guy they'd be looking to add, not trade away.

I agree. However: We have no way of knowing what Cincinnati would do if a proposal were made. imo

1 hour ago, joe42 said:

Lodolo of Cincinnati. Add in Moustakas(bad contract). What would that take, prospect wise?

I don't know much about Lodolo or his availability (I need to research more when I get a chance unless someone wants to give the scouting report) by Cinncinnati is a great fit stadium wise for guys like Mountcastle, Hays and Norby.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

That seems more like a problem created than a problem solved. 

I mean, would taking one year of Soler really that bad of of an idea if it opens the door to land a young, left-handed pitcher who's under control for a number of years? You might not like Soler, but he's been a consistent HR and RBI producer these last few years, which are basically the only offensive categories in which Santander contributes. Heck, maybe we can even aim higher and target Luzard or E. Cabrera if we take him on. 

I did a breakdown of SP's on non-contenders or salary challenged teams a few weeks ago. I couldn't come up with very many. The bad teams like Pittsburgh don't have any pitchers that would be an obvious upgrade. Most of the most viable targets are right handed. I think the only lefty who fits is Snell, if SD decides he isn't worth the money.

While a lefty might be ideal, trades are so hard to bring together I would go for another RHP if we can find a good fit rather than force a trade for a lefty.

3 hours ago, PHRESH said:

Wow! @PHRESH great find. 

So Fried would be a pitcher with 2 years of control as he is a FA after 2024 He's projected to make ~$12M for 2023 in ARB2. 

The braves will want a load of prospects for him. I am terrible at guessing what constitutes a reasonable offer for Max Fried but it has to start with DL Hall I would think.

5 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Wow! @PHRESH great find. 

So Fried would be a pitcher with 2 years of control as he is a FA after 2024 He's projected to make ~$12M for 2023 in ARB2. 

The braves will want a load of prospects for him. I am terrible at guessing what constitutes a reasonable offer for Max Fried but it has to start with DL Hall I would think.

I think the Braves would hang up the phone if our deal didn't include Henderson, Rodriguez, or Holliday, Seems like an unrealistic pipe dream. 

2 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

What about Patrick Sandoval from the Angels? His #s were very good last year. He will start ARB1 in 2023. Maybe the Angels would like one or two of our Middle IFs. 3 years of control...

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/patrick-sandoval/19447/stats?position=P

You have to look at a team's depth chart too. The Angel's aren't in a position to trade a SP. I like Sandoval, but he definitely regressed a bit this past season. He really had a hard time going deep into games.