Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This is illogical. They aren’t playing Frazier 120 games if he isn’t producing. 

Producing what?  .675 OPS?  .650?  They played Odor.  And if you play him for 120 games that 120 less games of Ortiz/Westburg/Vavra/Hays/Stowers/Cowser to all get their feet wet and adjust to the ML.

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I don't think we can be sure of this.  They played Odor.

Come on. The Odor angle is so overplayed. Gunnar wasn’t on the team for one obvious thing until September.

Are they going to send him down so Frazier can play? 

They didn’t play Vavra over Odor. What relevance that has to 2023 is beyond me.  

My wager, btw, is the O's think Frazier made swing adjustments (e.g. launch angles) that were bad for Frazier. I think they try to turn him back into a LD/GB hitter. I think the weak contact was related to trying to elevate the ball.

And I could be wrong.

So there's reason for hope, but also reason I hate this for $8 million. If it was $2-4 million, it would make sense to me.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Producing what?  .675 OPS?  .650?  They played Odor.  And if you play him for 120 games that 120 less games of Ortiz/Westburg/Vavra/Hays/Stowers/Cowser to all get their feet wet and adjust to the ML.

Are they playing 6 infielders at a time next year? 

Odor is the most overplayed song and dance I have ever heard. 

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The Orioles are still going to sign another arm. Once again it’s a 2 year deal. 

How much more does he want to play here?  You give 2/30 and he takes it. Then what? At the end of the day what they gave those two plus another arm will be around $30M and you still have the young players.  

Are they? I wouldn’t take anything as a given based on the lack of effort this offseason. Could they add another crappy player or two from the scrap heap? Anything is possible but don’t expect anything the will help the team be competitive.

I don’t blame Elias for trading guys at the deadline. But, the additions that he made were awful and the insistence from whomever to play Odor stunk of almost trying to lose. Aguilar was another head scratcher that the outcome could be predicted before it happened.

Further, they encouraged the announcers to try to sell us on Odor’s leadership and then his ability to turn a double play. Although that stats told a much different story.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Are they playing 6 infielders at a time next year? 

Odor is the most overplayed song and dance I have ever heard. 

Great, so take Odor out of the equation.  Your point is factual, they cannot play 6 infielders or even more than 7 position players at at time.  You gave a guy $8mil, and you didn't give it to him to be a coach and rah rah teammate.  The expectation is that he plays and he's better than the guys you had.

But what you don't get is enough ABs to go around.  This dilutes Mateo/Gunnar/Urias - assuming all 3 of those were slated for 140 games, and now also puts Westburg/Vavra/Ortiz back at AAA with nothing left to learn there.  And even if Urias/Mateo are traded, that limits the learning you can do with other guys.

Unless you have the great idea that Frazier is going to get ABs over Mountcastle/Hays/Stowers.  Which I still don't agree with, but others here might.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Are they? I wouldn’t take anything as a given based on the lack of effort this offseason. Could they add another crappy player or two from the scrap heap? Anything is possible but don’t expect anything the will help the team be competitive.

I don’t blame Elias for trading guys at the deadline. But, the additions that he made were awful and the insistence from whomever to play Odor stunk of almost trying to lose. Aguilar was another head scratcher that the outcome could be predicted before it happened.

Further, they encouraged the announcers to try to sell us on Odor’s leadership and then his ability to turn a double play. Although that stats told a much different story.

Why did they add Frazier? To tick people off? 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Come on. The Odor angle is so overplayed. Gunnar wasn’t on the team for one obvious thing until September.

Are they going to send him down so Frazier can play? 

They didn’t play Vavra over Odor. What relevance that has to 2023 is beyond me.  

Whether it's been stated a lot or not, the Orioles certainly did play Odor, and for that matter Aguillar, an awful lot, to the dismay of many fans.  And they're paying Frazier a lot more than those 2 were being paid.  I'm not saying that the Orioles should play Frazier everyday, but I just don't think that, given the evidence, we can assume that they won't.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Wow.  I didn't know this.  Strange, as the population of the San Diego area has been quite large for quite a few years.  I wonder if their tv revenue was comparatively poor at that time and has now been improved?  What other factors go into it?

I have no idea.   Each market receives a “market score” listed on an attachment to the CBA.  Top score goes to the Yankees and Mets at 235.   Next are Dodgers and Angels at 178, then Cubs and White Sox at 124.  At the opposite end are the Reds at 51, Brewers 52, Royals 53.  The Padres are 25th with a score of 60, O’s tied for 21st at 70.   Interestingly, SF and Oakland are considered one market at 108, while Washington (113) and Baltimore (70) are considered separate markets.   I don’t see any explanation in the CBA of how these scores are derived.   

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why did they add Frazier? To tick people off? 

Why did they add Frazier is the question a lot of people in this thread are asking.

And your statement that maybe they won't play him that much... I don't know about that.   He might be the 2nd or 3rd highest paid player on the team, I have a feeling they are pencilling him in for a good # of games.

2 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Great, so take Odor out of the equation.  Your point is factual, they cannot play 6 infielders or even more than 7 position players at at time.  You gave a guy $8mil, and you didn't give it to him to be a coach and rah rah teammate.  The expectation is that he plays and he's better than the guys you had.

But what you don't get is enough ABs to go around.  This dilutes Mateo/Gunnar/Urias - assuming all 3 of those were slated for 140 games, and now also puts Westburg/Vavra/Ortiz back at AAA with nothing left to learn there.  And even if Urias/Mateo are traded, that limits the learning you can do with other guys.

Unless you have the great idea that Frazier is going to get ABs over Mountcastle/Hays/Stowers.  Which I still don't agree with, but others here might.

You think Gunnar is not playing full time? 

Urias being on the team already impacted Westburg. 

He is trying to build a better lineup with greater depth in 2023. I don’t get this concern over how many at bats a specific player has in 2023? If Frazier plays well he helps the Orioles, if he doesn’t he doesn’t play as much.  

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Whether it's been stated a lot or not, the Orioles certainly did play Odor, and for that matter Aguillar, an awful lot, to the dismay of many fans.  And they're paying Frazier a lot more than those 2 were being paid.  I'm not saying that the Orioles should play Frazier everyday, but I just don't think that, given the evidence, we can assume that they won't.

They gave Aguilar about 50 at bats. He is gone. Odor is gone. 

He is going to play a lot. Never said he wouldn’t. I said if he doesn’t play well they won’t keep running him out there all year long.