Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Why did they add Frazier is the question a lot of people in this thread are asking.

And your statement that maybe they won't play him that much... I don't know about that.   He might be the 2nd or 3rd highest paid player on the team, I have a feeling they are pencilling him in for a good # of games.

They added him because they don’t want to bank on Stowers and Westburg and the rest of the lineup staying healthy/productive all year. He wants depth/options. 

Once again. My point is simple. If he does not play well he isn’t playing all the time. Do you think in July if he is struggling he plays everyday? 

7 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Whether it's been stated a lot or not, the Orioles certainly did play Odor, and for that matter Aguillar, an awful lot, to the dismay of many fans.  And they're paying Frazier a lot more than those 2 were being paid.  I'm not saying that the Orioles should play Frazier everyday, but I just don't think that, given the evidence, we can assume that they won't.

There’s good reason to think Frazier is going to play everyday the Orioles just don’t sign players for $8M like it’s nothing.

I’m going to contend a trade is coming and we’re going to see someone like Urias or another player moved creating a need for Frazier to get at bats. 

Even then the $8M price tag is steep and you can argue the O’s have enough infield depth in their farm system to replace a starter from last year’s team. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They added him because they don’t want to bank on Stowers and Westburg and the rest of the lineup staying healthy/productive all year. He wants depth/options. 

Once again. My point is simple. If he does not play well he isn’t playing all the time. Do you think in July if he is struggling he plays everyday? 

Odor

This has been a truly terrible thread. I can’t believe I actually read every post.

No one can say Frazier is a great pick up. I think you can make a case that he is a solid major league player. $8 million seems like a lot, but this market is what it is. Why is he here? Because Westburg, Ortiz and Vavra are not proven commodities. Prospects fail all the time. And if these guys fail, many naysayers here would be the same ones that would say that they should have signed Frazier, who is an upgrade to Odor. His versatility is huge to me. Sort of a Brock Holt lite.

Injuries and prospect failure is why this is a solid pick up to me. The depth he provides is important. The same people complaining want to compete for a playoff relying on unproven rookies? Ok, gotcha. 

It certainly isn’t worth 34 pages of bickering, but you carry on. As you were. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You think Gunnar is not playing full time? 

Urias being on the team already impacted Westburg. 

He is trying to build a better lineup with greater depth in 2023. I don’t get this concern over how many at bats a specific player has in 2023? If Frazier plays well he helps the Orioles, if he doesn’t he doesn’t play as much.  

For $8mil you’re arguing my point. He’s marginal gains over things you already have. So why spend any money. Does he make the orioles marketably better in 2023?

14 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Why did they add Frazier is the question a lot of people in this thread are asking.

And your statement that maybe they won't play him that much... I don't know about that.   He might be the 2nd or 3rd highest paid player on the team, I have a feeling they are pencilling him in for a good # of games.

He has played in 95% of his teams’ games over the last four seasons (521 of 546).  

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Well played.

It’s laughable. 

Playing Odor over Vavra and comparing that to Frazier is ridiculous. I’m suppose to believe in mid July 2023 that Frazier isn’t playing well that Westburg continues to rot in the minors. 

7 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

For $8mil you’re arguing my point. He’s marginal gains over things you already have. So why spend any money. Does he make the orioles marketably better in 2023?

Why does everyone assume so much with the rest of the lineup. It’s just as bad as assuming so much with Bradish, Wells and Kremer. 

8 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

This has been a truly terrible thread. I can’t believe I actually read every post.

No one can say Frazier is a great pick up. I think you can make a case that he is a solid major league player. $8 million seems like a lot, but this market is what it is. Why is he here? Because Westburg, Ortiz and Vavra are not proven commodities. Prospects fail all the time. And if these guys fail, many naysayers here would be the same ones that would say that they should have signed Frazier, who is an upgrade to Odor. His versatility is huge to me. Sort of a Brock Holt lite.

Injuries and prospect failure is why this is a solid pick up to me. The depth he provides is important. The same people complaining want to compete for a playoff relying on unproven rookies? Ok, gotcha. 

It certainly isn’t worth 34 pages of bickering, but you carry on. As you were. 

I have enjoyed it. Rather argue about this than other stuff. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Besides what do you think $8M buys in the FA market?