Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

No matter how you slice the Frazier signing, he will be taking at bats from the prospects. He is making 8 million so he is playing, plus he is a lefty, so barring a major injury, Stowers will be on the pine for Frazier. That sounds like 'trying to win now' which they obviously aren't. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

He’s a contact hitter who will get on base and play quality defense.

In the interest of fair comparison

2022 OBP Comparison

Frazier .301

Vavra .340

Hays .306

Stowers .306

Santander .318

Urias .305

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

In the interest of fair comparison

2022 OBP Comparison

Frazier .301

Vavra .340

Hays .306

Stowers .306

Santander .318

Urias .305

Last year was a down year for the fella. Have you seen his interview on MASN where he discusses that and his approach at the plate? How Elias said the data suggests his resurgence at the plate? I feel like it’s kinda necessary to get complete context, but that’s ok.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

No matter how you slice the Frazier signing, he will be taking at bats from the prospects. He is making 8 million so he is playing, plus he is a lefty, so barring a major injury, Stowers will be on the pine for Frazier. That sounds like 'trying to win now' which they obviously aren't. 

That's my gripe...

Some combination of Stowers, Vavra, Westburg, Ortiz (all of whom appear to be arguably better players) lose at bats.

5 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

So they aren’t trying to win now? Haha, ok, what are they trying to do? Languish in mediocrity? If that was the case, we never would have built the facility in the Dominican. Elias is building a juggernaut not just a couple of good years but a great decade. Y’all are too much man.

4 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Last year was a down year for the fella. Have you seen his interview on MASN where he discusses that and his approach at the plate? How Elias said the data suggests his resurgence at the plate? I feel like it’s kinda necessary to get complete context, but that’s ok.

I'm not particularly down on Frazier.

And I don't find it inconceivable that he posts 2 WAR

I just think he was an unnecessary signing that intensifies an already existing logjam in the O's middle infield, and shortly in the outfield.

5 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

So they aren’t trying to win now? Haha, ok, what are they trying to do? Languish in mediocrity? If that was the case, we never would have built the facility in the Dominican. Elias is building a juggernaut not just a couple of good years but a great decade. Y’all are too much man.

Of course they're trying to win now.

I don't question their motives.

I question their strategy... and only with this particular signing.

I think it's counter-productive.

37 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

He’s a contact hitter who will get on base and play quality defense. No one is comparing him to Ricky Henderson but you lol. Honestly, you guys are hilarious sometimes picking at every word . Do y’all live in Baltimore? Maybe there’s something to that if you do.

Maybe I have unrealistic standards, but I don't consider .301 OBP "getting on base".  Orioles have a long history of signing bounce back candidates, Vlad and Sosa come immediately to mind although there were many others.  Most of these bounce back candidates continued to decline.

8 minutes ago, owknows said:

Of course they're trying to win now.

I don't question their motives.

I question their strategy... and only with this particular signing.

I think it's counter-productive.

Look, I love our prospects too, but expecting them to immediately compete at the major league level with no experience is asking too much of them. Frazier fills that role while they slowly season. To make the playoffs which I think we will do, Hyde has to maximize talent and opportunity on each day. We will see a cadre of different lineups as a result. Will we see the young prospects this year? Yes, but we can’t have an offensive void for a couple of months waiting for the young bats to click. Adley struggled at the plate, Nevin never could figure it out though he crushed minor league pitching. You need depth. Quality depth. Frazier is exactly that. Plus, he’s a vet and that’s incredibly important for a club as young as ours.

56 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

He’s a contact hitter who will get on base and play quality defense. No one is comparing him to Ricky Henderson but you lol. Honestly, you guys are hilarious sometimes picking at every word . Do y’all live in Baltimore? Maybe there’s something to that if you do.

You said great. If that’s not what you mean, don’t say it and don’t get all upset when you get called out for saying something absurd like that.

Your evaluation of him is wrong as well but I’m guessing you can’t compute that, so it’s not worth going any further.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

You said great. If that’s not what you mean, don’t say it and don’t get all upset when you get called out for saying something absurd like that.

Your evaluation of him is wrong as well but I’m guessing you can’t compute that, so it’s not worth going any further.

Talk about cognitive dissonance. He had a down year is all. We can circle back once the season starts and determine who is right. 

Just now, Explosivo said:

Talk about cognitive dissonance. He had a down year is all. We can circle back once the season starts and determine who is right. 

Well, he has had a bad year and a half. (Covering 800 at bats)

On top of that, he is on the wrong side of 30 and historically speaking, middle infielders see steep declines in their early 30s.

All numbers are trending poorly and he is “old” for his position.

Thats not to say he can’t bounce back. As I have said, I wouldn’t be shocked by a 2ish WAR season but it’s naive to act as if it’s an almost certainty that he will bounce back and it was a poor signing to begin with.

59 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

The way they've used Stowers at the major league level and then with the Frazier acquisition, I'm getting the feeling that he's either on the trading block, or they feel Santander is going to be traded and he's going into RF next year. Either way, they have not treated him "like a guy". Personally, I think they under value him.