Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah, but with FA thin, we really don’t have a replacement for Santander. Our struggles over the last half of the season were offensively. I just don’t see how we can afford to subtract Mullins or Santander. I’d rather target Eric Lauer from the Brewers. Ramon Urias could be the MLB player going back in return. 

According to most player valuations Urias > Lauer.  I also don't think the Brewers are in a position to trade a SP.  Ashby, their 5th starter, is far from a sure thing. 

2 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

My proposed trade idea. 

Orioles Get: E.Cabrera (SP) and K.Watson (SS/2B)

Marlins Get: A.Santander (OF/DH) and R. Urias (3B)

It's dead even, according to this trade evaluator. The Marlins get an OF and 2B or 3B they can can immediately plug into their lineup (i.e., MLB ready talent). The Orioles get a highly touted SP prospect who's MLB ready and an interesting SS/2B to add to their minor league pipeline. Short term, we give Santander's slot to Cowser with Kjerstad as our fall back plan. Thoughts?

https://imgur.com/a/0q9ys1s (Screen shot of trade evaluator)

Watson has had some attitude issues which might decrease his value.  The Marlins disciplined him last season for awhile and sent him away from the team for awhile so not sure he a guy you want to trade for.   

3 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Watson has had some attitude issues which might decrease his value.  The Marlins disciplined him last season for awhile and sent him away from the team for awhile so not sure he a guy you want to trade for.   

Not to mention the 132 strikeouts in 376 PA in low A.

10 hours ago, bpilktree said:

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Not to mention the 132 strikeouts in 376 PA in low A.

I was willing to chalk those things up to his age (he's only 19), but if they are truly red flags the Marlins have plenty of other prospects to pick from with similar value. Dax Fulton (LHP), Jacob Miller (RHP), and even a blast from the past Victor Mesa, Jr (OF) are a few that come to mind. I still vividly remember how upset everyone was that Brady Anderson didn't try to use some of the team's international slot money to try and sign one or both of the Mesa brothers. 

14 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

My proposed trade idea. 

It's dead even, according to this trade evaluator. The Marlins get an OF and 2B or 3B they can can immediately plug into their lineup (i.e., MLB ready talent). The Orioles get a highly touted SP prospect who's MLB ready and an interesting SS/2B to add to their minor league pipeline. Short term, we give Santander's slot to Cowser with Kjerstad as our fall back plan. Thoughts?

I'd make that trade

14 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

My proposed trade idea. 

Why would we add a middle infielder?

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Why would we add a middle infielder?

He was just a prospect that stood out to me that had comparable value to even things out. I posted another reply (earlier this morning) where I listed three other possible prospects to add to the deal. Basically anyone outside of the Marlin's top five prospects should be in play. 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/marlins

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

He was just a prospect that stood out to me that had comparable value to even things out. I posted another reply (earlier this morning) where I listed three other possible prospects to add to the deal. Basically anyone outside of the Marlin's top five prospects should be in play. 

Not that there’s anything wrong with getting a high ceiling middle infield prospect in the lower minors back as a piece.   

I would much rather trade from our ml ranks, than from the prospects. Santander, Urias, Mateo, Hays, etc.  I think this off-season highlights exactly why I take this stance. This team is not going to spend money in the free agent market. They are all about with building from within, and to me that is clearly the path that they will stay on. 

Maybe they trade for a pitcher like Lopez who only has 2 years of control and get back another interesting prospect in the deal. Makes sense to me. trading away established players who are about to get more expensive, and stockpiling prospects. 

4 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

How about Cabrera and Dax Fulton. I think we should focus on pitching.

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Like 1