Any interest in Trevor Bauer if he's released?

OrioleLochRaven

2 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Well stated and spot on. This is essential how I see it as well. Hopefully my concurrence with your eloquent argument doesn't minimize its relevance. Thank you for stating this in such a clear manner.

And yes this is squarely where I am on this as well. I’m glad that we have the privilege of Frobby’s input. 

My defense of Bauer is in part because I was attacked on this board for floating a trade idea to acquire him. I do not know the guy. 

6 hours ago, banks703 said:

When he ends up in Toronto or Tampa and wins 18 games and keeps the Orioles out of the playoffs, how many posters on this very board who are adamantly against acquiring Bauer, will return to complain that the O's should have done more to get him? 

All of them. 

x2

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have to ask - are you related to Bauer, or his childhood buddy?   I think this is the second time you’ve posted this.   Why so obsessed with this?

Here’s how I see this: MLB has a process.   The proceedings are confidential and we’re never going to know what evidence was presented or collected for that, as opposed to whatever happened in court.  The arbitrator has ruled and Bauer is free to play now.  But the arbitrator also clearly felt that the MLB policy had been violated and pretty severe discipline had been warranted.  So I don’t think it’s likely that Bauer is blameless here, even though I don’t know (and will never know) what the evidence was that supported the arbitrator’s ruling, or whether I’d agree with the ruling.  

So now the question is, should the team avoid signing a player with this kind of black mark on his record?   My view is, the team doesn’t need to make a moral judgment, it just needs to be pragmatic.  How bad will fan backlash be, and will there be discontent in the clubhouse?   If they feel that not too many fans will walk away, and that the clubhouse will accept Bauer, then they should sign a guy who has the potential to improve the team drastically at very little cost.   He did his time and the team shouldn’t apply a further morality test beyond the pragmatic considerations above.  But if the backlash will make it a bad business decision, then don’t sign him.  

Agreed completely with the first paragraph. I'm surprised by the second. Is there anything that matters beyond "business"? 

I’ve been looking at Bauers BR page.  I was expecting more.

Career 3.83 FIP.   Lots of home runs.  Over 12 wins, ONCE.   His last season with the Dodgers, 4.03 FIP, 19 homers in 107 innings.  Despite gaudy strikeout numbers, he’s not great.  He’s very good and coming off a  2 year layoff and was a bit of a fruitcake before all of this stuff.   He might come back and be great but I wouldn’t bet on greatness.  I’d bet on good with a chance to crumble.  This dude is going to be enemy #1 in a lot of stadiums.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

There’s no doubt in my mind that, if some state tried to change the rule of innocent until proven guilty, even the current literalist Supreme Court would find that it’s implicit in our Constitutuon even if not expressly spelled out.   

Merry Christmas to you as well.   

Yeah, but would it be 5-4, 6-3, or 7-2 (assuming Alito and Thomas are the two)?  I only say that because we don’t know exactly how close we are to to literalism gone wild. 

11 hours ago, banks703 said:

LOL No, I am not related to Bauer nor do I know him. It’s just incredibly annoying to read people soapbox on something when none of us have all of the information. And when I see people cite the same incident without taking the time to post the other facts of said incident, it’s really frustrating to me. 

As it relates to the arbiter - if Bauer was simply seeking the fastest path to reinstatement, could he not have appealed to have only the upcoming year of suspension overturned? I realize that the specific details of the appeal are not available but he had already served 17 months of suspension, counting the 99 games of the 21 season. If I understood the proceeding correctly, he was asking only for a decision on the remaining term of the suspension, 162 games or the equivalent of 1 full season. 

As another mentioned, Bauer’s outspokenness of Manfred dug himself deeper. Isn’t it possible that the arbiter declared what was a victory for both sides? Just because the suspension was reduced and not completely dismissed, doesn’t technically mean that they found Bauer to be guilty of wrongdoing. 

Right? 

I've taken the liberty of translating the above post for everyone who hasn't been following along. 

"None of us have all of the information because we weren't there, except for me because I have Googled it extensively and  will continue to post all of my findings over and over again in multiple threads in an effort to continue to hijack the conversation and steer it away from any semblance of relevance to an Oriole's message board. And although I claim to feel personally attached, the reality is I wanted nothing more than an excuse to argue vehemently for Trevor Bauer's innocence and outstanding character from the jump." 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

On 12/24/2022 at 7:42 AM, HakunaSakata said:

I've taken the liberty of translating the above post for everyone who hasn't been following along. 

"None of us have all of the information because we weren't there, except for me because I have Googled it extensively and  will continue to post all of my findings over and over again in multiple threads in an effort to continue to hijack the conversation and steer it away from any semblance of relevance to an Oriole's message board. And although I claim to feel personally attached, the reality is I wanted nothing more than an excuse to argue vehemently for Trevor Bauer's innocence and outstanding character from the jump." 

Clearly. Great job deciphering this. 🙄

The truth is that I threw out an idea to trade for the guy and you soapboxed your way into accusing me of supporting an abuser of women, which, neither are factually true yet you, for some reason, continue to try to dog me out for it. 

I never made it about the dude’s innocence. I’ve never claimed to think one way or the other, other than what the evidence has shown to be proven in court. And I’ve only kept repeating it for those, like you, who take two minutes to google Trevor Bauer, that none of us actually know what happened. Despite that, you seem to completely ignore the facts when they are presented as a counter to your arguments.

I simply state facts that are deliberately omitted in your attempt to misrepresent the situation, which you have done here, again, in another thread that wasn't even started by me. So, who is hijacking the thread, friend?

You immediately took the position that the guy is a scumbag and attacked me for an idea to acquire him. That is also a fact. So, please, spare us with your bullshit of trying to make it about me. It’s tired. 

Edited by banks703
iPhone autocorrected deliberately to deliberated.
  • Upvote 1

On 12/23/2022 at 8:07 PM, banks703 said:

LOL No, I am not related to Bauer nor do I know him. It’s just incredibly annoying to read people soapbox on something when none of us have all of the information. And when I see people cite the same incident without taking the time to post the other facts of said incident, it’s really frustrating to me. 

As it relates to the arbiter - if Bauer was simply seeking the fastest path to reinstatement, could he not have appealed to have only the upcoming year of suspension overturned? I realize that the specific details of the appeal are not available but he had already served 17 months of suspension, counting the 99 games of the 21 season. If I understood the proceeding correctly, he was asking only for a decision on the remaining term of the suspension, 162 games or the equivalent of 1 full season. 

As another mentioned, Bauer’s outspokenness of Manfred dug himself deeper. Isn’t it possible that the arbiter declared what was a victory for both sides? Just because the suspension was reduced and not completely dismissed, doesn’t technically mean that they found Bauer to be guilty of wrongdoing. 

Right? 

Sadly Banks, your first statement, in the current climate of this country, is a sad truth and examples are everywhere. Big media, that we are supposed to trust, "reporting" news stories, proven untrue 5 hours later, with no retractions forthcoming. MLB did their best to destroy Bauer for their own political gain and its pretty obvious when you compare the penalties of other "MLB Domestic Abuse Policy" offenders. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Sadly Banks, your first statement, in the current climate of this country, is a sad truth and examples are everywhere. Big media, that we are supposed to trust, "reporting" news stories, proven untrue 5 hours later, with no retractions forthcoming. MLB did their best to destroy Bauer for their own political gain and its pretty obvious when you compare the penalties of other "MLB Domestic Abuse Policy" offenders. 

I really don't have a dog in this fight but let's be accurate in our posts.  Sam Dyson was suspended a full year for bullying-no physical contact.  I would also add that it's not simply MLB, the MLBPA signed off and supports the policy, they both have a vested interest in protecting the ban.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Truth is, we don’t know what evidence MLB or the arbitrator had before them.  I would not say MLB rushed to judgment — the suspension happened long after one of Bauer’s accusers had lost her bid for a restraining order and after the LA District Attorney decided not to pursue criminal charges.   The proceedings were confidential, so it’s kind of presumptuous to say whether the suspension was right or wrong.   The arbitrator found a long suspension was justified but two years was too harsh.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Truth is, we don’t know what evidence MLB or the arbitrator had before them.  I would not say MLB rushed to judgment — the suspension happened long after one of Bauer’s accusers had lost her bid for a restraining order and after the LA District Attorney decided not to pursue criminal charges.   The proceedings were confidential, so it’s kind of presumptuous to say whether the suspension was right or wrong.   The arbitrator found a long suspension was justified but two years was too harsh.  

I think it is fair however, to question the objectivity of an organization whose fundamental fealty is to it's perceived image rather than a necessarily just outcome. MLB would understandably be biased toward protecting itself in this process rather than the player.

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, owknows said:

I think it is fair however, to question the objectivity of an organization whose fundamental fealty is to it's perceived image rather than a necessarily just outcome. MLB would understandably be biased toward protecting itself in this process rather than the player.

In an ideal world for MLB Bauer would be fully exonerated and we wouldn't be talking about this.