MLB.com suggests Burnes to Os trade

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I think his ceiling is probably mid-career Nick Markakis. Which is certainly valuable, but I'd hardly call him a star

You have a definition of "star" that is tough to meet.  I think most would say Nick Markakis was a star player.  A player doesn't need to be a first-ballot HOFer to be considered a "star" IMO.

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m still skeptical the Brewers would want Cowser as the headliner.

Yeah, their system is super deep at CF - Mitchell at the MLB level, Frelick in AAA and Chourio at AA. Their system is very thin on infielders but they’re pretty set there at the MLB level with Adames, Urias and Turang. I could see them being more interested in corner bats - Mayo, Kjerstad, Beavers. And you can always use more arms. So our system doesn’t actually match up that well with them. 

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

You have a definition of "star" that is tough to meet.  I think most would say Nick Markakis was a star player.  A player doesn't need to be a first-ballot HOFer to be considered a "star" IMO.

Nick is an unusual case, a 30 WAR player who made only one all star team and reached or surpassed 3 rWAR only twice in his long career.   By contrast, Adam Jones (who had 1 WAR less than Nick in his career) made 5 all star teams and topped 3 WAR 5 times.   Whether Nick was a “star” is debatable.  He was certainly a very consistent, reliable and durable player.  

9 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Mid career, Nick Markakis was around a 3-win player. Solidly above average regular, but wasn't generally hearing his name brought up for awards. To me, you need to be more like 4-5 wins to be a "star." The kind of player who's a household name and gets lots of all-star votes, occasionally some down-ballot MVP votes.

I don't think Cowser is going to be that kind of player, do you?

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Mid career, Nick Markakis was around a 3-win player. Solidly above average regular, but wasn't generally hearing his name brought up for awards. To me, you need to be more like 4-5 wins to be a "star." The kind of player who's a household name and gets lots of all-star votes, occasionally some down-ballot MVP votes.

I'd be happy if Cowser turns out to be Nick Markakis.

6 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Too soon to tell.   I’d certainly be more than satisfied if he were Markakis 2.0.  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I think his ceiling is probably mid-career Nick Markakis. Which is certainly valuable, but I'd hardly call him a star

He is faster and has more pop than Markakis. His ceiling is higher than Markakis but his floor is lower.  He has a chance to be a an All Star caliber player.  After last year’s showing of player development, I’m extremely excited to see how all the minor league bats perform in 2023.  I’m expecting significant improvement across the board on the offensive side.  

I'm torn on Cowser but I could see him being a star.  I don't think he's a CF but I see a ton of power potential combined with the hit tool and the plate discipline.   I think he could be an offensive star with average to plus defense in LF or RF.   The red flag is the strikeout numbers.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Too soon to tell.   I’d certainly be more than satisfied if he were Markakis 2.0.  

Nick Markakis was an excellent player who carried himself in a manner that exuded professionalism. If Colton Cowser was able to replicate Nick's career and carry himself with the same je ne sais quoi the O's have a real keeper.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm torn on Cowser but I could see him being a star.  I don't think he's a CF but I see a ton of power potential combined with the hit tool and the plate discipline.   I think he could be an offensive star with average to plus defense in LF or RF.   The red flag is the strikeout numbers.

This sums up Cowser for me.  I have to imagine other teams would love to have him in their system.  He would be #1 prospect for a lot of clubs.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nick is an unusual case, a 30 WAR player who made only one all star team and reached or surpassed 3 rWAR only twice in his long career.   By contrast, Adam Jones (who had 1 WAR less than Nick in his career) made 5 all star teams and topped 3 WAR 5 times.   Whether Nick was a “star” is debatable.  He was certainly a very consistent, reliable and durable player.  

I am sending this post to Nick.  I think he will be interested that the head of his fan  club is not sure he was a star.

• Haha 1

Just now, wildcard said:

I am sending this post to Nick.  I think he will be interested that the head of his fan  club is not sure he was a star.

I know you’re just messing around, but I’ll give you a serious response.  Sometimes I can like a player for reasons beyond his on-field play and his stats.   I really admired Nick’s stoicism, his consistency, his approach at the plate.  He didn’t have to be a star to be my favorite player on the team.  He just needed to be who he was.  And he came along at the right time in Orioles history for me to latch on to him.

Right now Austin Hays is my favorite player on the team.  Is he the best player?  Not at all.   Does his approach at the plate drive me crazy at times?  Yes.   But I just like his obvious passion for the game, how much he clearly loves playing baseball, how much he relishes the success of his teammates.   (And, he does wear Nick’s number. 😉)

Two very different players who I like for different reasons.  

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'll be honest, I was always a little disappointed that Markakis became Markakis.  I thought he was going to be a 300/400/500 guy for a decade, and after his first three years in the majors there was no reason to believe he wouldn't be exactly that.  Hell, they were throwing Stan Musial comps on him at one point.

He signed the extension, and he was never quite the same player again.  He peaked at 24.

He was a fine, dependable, solid player.  But he wasn't what I thought he was going to be.

• Upvote 1