MLB.com suggests Burnes to Os trade

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It never makes sense to put off a chance to pick up a rare commodity in the sport.

Even if you can get it cheaper later?

Even if you'll have more information to determine its true value?

There's plenty of reasons to buy something later rather than immediately.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Oddly, the sticking point for me in that trade is Bradish.  Trading him creates another hole in our rotation.   

I was going to agree, but for me it was the known top end.  Bradish could easily regress as much as I want him to be our no 2 or 3.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Even if you can get it cheaper later?

Even if you'll have more information to determine its true value?

There's plenty of reasons to buy something later rather than immediately.

Burnes won’t be cheaper at the deadline if he’s performing and Milwaukee probably won’t be trading him then either.

We know Burnes’ true value.

You can say you want to wait on our guys but what happens if guys get hurt, struggle, get exposed, etc…

All of these things go both ways. Don’t wait, get the guy and try to win.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Burnes won’t be cheaper at the deadline if he’s performing and Milwaukee probably won’t be trading him then either.

We know Burnes’ true value.

You can say you want to wait on our guys but what happens if guys get hurt, struggle, get exposed, etc…

All of these things go both ways. Don’t wait, get the guy and try to win.

Again, this is all speculation.  We don't k now if he'll be performing and healthy in six months.  He might not be.  That seems like pretty important information concerning his value.

Even suggesting he's available now is pure speculation.

I do agree that it goes both ways: It could make more sense now; it could make more sense later.  We're not privy to the information that would make me feel very strongly one way or another about that.

I don’t think we are World Series contender next year with or without Burnes so you are putting all you eggs in one basket for one season without an extension and I don’t think we are gonna pay him the money he will command no matter what.   So the question is are we better with Bradish and say Lopez or Carrasco in the rotation or Burns.    I think I favor Bradish and one of those guys over Burns and Wells or Voth.

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

I don’t think we are World Series contender next year with or without Burnes so you are putting all you eggs in one basket for one season without an extension and I don’t think we are gonna pay him the money he will command no matter what.   So the question is are we better with Bradish and say Lopez or Carrasco in the rotation or Burns.    I think I favor Bradish and one of those guys over Burns and Wells or Voth.

I think you would be leaving the best three eggs out of the basket.

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Again, this is all speculation.  We don't k now if he'll be performing and healthy in six months.  He might not be.  That seems like pretty important information concerning his value.

Even suggesting he's available now is pure speculation.

I do agree that it goes both ways: It could make more sense now; it could make more sense later.  We're not privy to the information that would make me feel very strongly one way or another about that.

Seriously? You want to doubt his performance?  That seems like just a dumb reason to not make the trade.

Your whole argument is a big reach. 

If you don’t want to make the trade because it’s too much to give up, that’s fine. But the rest of this is window dressing.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Seriously? You want to doubt his performance?  That seems like just a dumb reason to not make the trade.

Your whole argument is a big reach. 

If you don’t want to make the trade because it’s too much to give up, that’s fine. But the rest of this is window dressing.

We don't even know if he's available.

We don't know what they would ask for.

I'm not making an argument about anything.

I speculated they might wait until July to make their trade for a TOR pitcher rather than do it now, for any number of reasons- not least of which is the availability of that TOR pitcher.