What is the real reason for our off season?

DocJJ

20 minutes ago, owknows said:

Interesting story... and sounds like as is typical, divorce was no fun.

Now you've got me curious whether you were over the wall crew, or shop/engineering.. perhaps another time.

I got involved initially on the sponsorship level, then developed a relationship with the owner and was very close to his father-I took care of him at the races.  I also was involved with some of the celebrities under contract to Coors who sponsored one of our cars at the time.  I met a lot of really interesting people including presidents, lot of stories.  It also gave me an interesting perspective into sports, some I have which I have shared.  My owner was a minority owner in MLB at the time, very interesting to hear him and others around him talk about the finances of baseball.  Many players talk about the blow to your ego when you leave, I really missed being on TV and in front of hundreds of thousands of fans plus all the other amenities but I had young children and traveling 30 some weeks of the year was tough.  

Two other funny notes, I once threw out the first pitch at a packed MLB game, even though I was coaching at the time I was terrified about bouncing it.  I don't wear my rings often but when I do I have to wear a watch to balance the weight!!  I hope this doesn't sound pretentious, I am sensitive about that.

1 minute ago, SemperFi said:

I got involved initially on the sponsorship level, then developed a relationship with the owner and was very close to his father-I took care of him at the races.  I also was involved with some of the celebrities under contract to Coors who sponsored one of our cars at the time.  I met a lot of really interesting people including presidents, lot of stories.  It also gave me an interesting perspective into sports, some I have which I have shared.  My owner was a minority owner in MLB at the time, very interesting to hear him and others around him talk about the finances of baseball.  Many players talk about the blow to your ego when you leave, I really missed being on TV and in front of hundreds of thousands of fans plus all the other amenities but I had young children and traveling 30 some weeks of the year was tough.  

Two other funny notes, I once threw out the first pitch at a packed MLB game, even though I was coaching at the time I was terrified about bouncing it.  I don't wear my rings often but when I do I have to wear a watch to balance the weight!!  I hope this doesn't sound pretentious, I am sensitive about that.

Not at all pretentious. I was a racing fan back in the day. Both IRL and NASCAR

(honest admission ..  I took a moment to try to figure out team and driver info based on your ring count)

😁

1 hour ago, owknows said:

Not at all pretentious. I was a racing fan back in the day. Both IRL and NASCAR

(honest admission ..  I took a moment to try to figure out team and driver info based on your ring count)

😁

You can probably figure it out, I'll PM you and any one else who is interested as to not hijack the topic. 

On 12/30/2022 at 2:11 PM, spiritof66 said:

I think $400 million understates the estate tax that would be due on Peter's death, though the numbers are so large I'm not sure it matters

*  Yeah, I know: 

My $400m was a rough estimate but your higher amount seems more likely. Hope there is not a way to avoid a sale, which is a concern (paranoid or not) that messes with this competitive window we are starting to open!