Roch forgets about Maverick Handley

wildcard

Roch outlines the O's players in ST and the catchers at AAA.  He does not mention Maverick Handley.   I think Handley will be in ST and has a good chance to be the starting catcher at AAA this season.  Handley is reportedly a major league ready defensive catcher who needs to show he can hit AAA pitching before promoted to the majors.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/checking-on-some-competitions-while-waiting-for-camp-information

Edited by wildcard

59 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Man, you beat me to the punch on this one. Had to try and settle down first before starting this thread. 

Maybe he ignores him as a way to lower your expectations. Roch claims to have his own voice but we all know he’s the organizational mouthpiece 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Roch outlines the O's players in ST and the catchers at AAA.  He does not mention Maverick Handley.   I think Handley will be in ST and has a good chance to be the starting catcher at AAA this season.  Handley is reportedly a major league ready defensive catcher who needs to show he can hit AAA pitching before promoted to the majors.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/checking-on-some-competitions-while-waiting-for-camp-information

Handley isn’t in AAA

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Handley isn’t in AAA

Yeah…good catch 

Hes only been as high as A+ with very low average and OBP. The OBP was over 100 points higher than his average the last 2 seasons . So an uptick in average to .260-.270 would move his OBP to a very respectable level if he’s able to maintain the margin

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah…good catch 

Hes only been as high as A+ with very low average and OBP. The OBP was over 100 points higher than his average the last 2 seasons . So an uptick in average to .260-.270 would move his OBP to a very respectable level if he’s able to maintain the margin

No, he was in AA last year.

41 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah…good catch 

Handley was at AA last year with a .352 OBP.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=handle000mav

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I said he has a good chance to be at AAA.

1) Just because you say that it doesn’t mean anything.

2) You are saying Roch forgot him. No he didn’t. He named the guys at AAA and who likely will be in AAA. Handley can force his way there as the season goes on but they likely don’t do it yet.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

1) Just because you say that it doesn’t mean anything.

2) You are saying Roch forgot him. No he didn’t. He named the guys at AAA and who likely will be in AAA. Handley can force his way there as the season goes on but they likely don’t do it yet.

We will just have to disagree on this one.  Handley spent the whole season at AA last year at age 24.  The logical progression is for him to be at AAA this season IMO.

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Just because Roch didn't mention Handley doesn't mean he "forgot" him. Seems to me that Roch simply doesn't consider Handley as ST invite worthy. 

I doubt that.  Catchers in the system that make it to AA are invited to camp even if they do not get promoted.   When there are twenty some pitchers in camp someone has to catch them.

I will take the bet that Handley is in camp.

Edited by wildcard

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We will just have to disagree on this one.  Handley spent the whole season at AA last year at age 24.  The logical progression is for him to be at AAA this season IMO.

He only had 259 at bats. They definitely could decide to have the ML experienced vets in AAA and then see where things are going.

Either way, he’s not in AAA, so Roch isn’t forgetting about him.