Westburg or Mountcastle? Higher WAR if Full Time Starter at 1B on OD?

sportsfan8703

The Orioles have never had Westburg play a single game at 1B at any level of the minor leagues.  He never played 1B in college.  But it's easy.  It think it's much more likely that they have Mayo get experience there and would prefer that Westburg get some corner outfield experience since Stowers, Cowser, Kjerstad, and Beavers are all lefties.

Edited by NCRaven
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The Orioles have never had Westburg play a single game at 1B at any level of the minor leagues.  He never played 1B in college.  But it's easy.

It's not easy but I think Westburg ulitmately would be a better 1B than Mountcastle.   Better arm, better infield actions, better range.  I do think Westburg would be equal or better in a rookie year at 1B than Mountcastle will be this year.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

It's not easy but I think Westburg ulitmately would be a better 1B than Mountcastle.   Better arm, better infield actions, better range.  I do think Westburg would be equal or better in a rookie year at 1B than Mountcastle will be this year.

There's a lot of what ifs in that statement. I also think it's a bit of a reach (even for this board) to think that a MLB team would play someone at a position without giving him minor league reps first. There are plenty of educated gambles I'd be fine with this team taking, but playing Westburg at 1B from day 1 with no prior experience isn't one of them. 

• Upvote 1

Mountcastle is easily the safer bet. I’m optimistic for Westburg but there’s no guarantees adapting to MLB and we already know Mountcastle’s level as a solid or better MLB hitter. 

I also think, if Westburg can play the other infield spots well enough, you reduce his overall value if you move him to 1B unnecessarily. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

There's a lot of what ifs in that statement. I also think it's a bit of a reach (even for this board) to think that a MLB team would play someone at a position without giving him minor league reps first. There are plenty of educated gambles I'd be fine with this team taking, but playing Westburg at 1B from day 1 with no prior experience isn't one of them. 

Yeah.  I didn't say it would happen.  I was taking the question as a hypothetical.

15 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Westburg is probably going to begin the season  at AAA.

Mountcastle put up good numbers at age 22 in AAA. A high school player. 

Westburg was ok at AA at 22. At 23 he hit solid at AA for half a year and then he hit well at AAA. A college player. 

I’ll take the odds that a player with 2 plus years of MLB experience will be better. Even though with his greater OBP skills Westburg has legit upside. 

Edited by eddie83
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Mountcastle put up good numbers at age 22 in AAA. A high school player. 

Westburg was ok at AA at 22. At 23 he didn’t hit well at AA for half a year and then he hit well at AAA. A college player. 

I’ll take the odds that a player with 2 plus years of MLB experience will be better. Even though with his greater OBP skills Westburg has legit upside. 

I think Westburg will out hit Diaz.

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He will need a little time I'm sure, but I agree, Westburg would ultimately be better defensively than Mountcastle at 1B MOST LIKELY. Scooping and making that throw to first base as a right-hander are the two that are most tricky.