Orioles trade for D Hernandez, Diaz DFA

eddie83

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

When Elias picked up Cionel Perez, Bryan Baker, Austin Voth, Jorge Mateo, Ramon Urias, Renato Nunez, Hanser Alberto, and Jorge Lopez, all for practically nothing, did you applaud the moves because they were "good players"?   Because every one of those guys contributed > 1 WAR to the Orioles, some of them significantly more.

Not saying Hernandez will belong on that list, but when it comes to off-season acquisitions of fringe major leaguers and minor leaguers, Elias has done pretty darn well.   Major league established veteran acquisitons (Odor, Aguilar, Phillips, etc) has been a different story, Elias's track record is very questionable.   But plucking these nobodies from the waiver wire or the DFA wire or minor league free agency, Elias has done pretty well.   The acquisition of most of those guys I named above were greeted with yawns or complaints here on OH

Yeah, this is the sweet spot for Elias waiver claims. He's had good success in these kinds of arms and honestly, this was a good move as he's got more upside than Diaz or really several other pitchers on the 40-man still. 

While it's not the move we want to hear them make, this is a fine low risk move to improve the relief options and provide some depth at left-handed reliever with Vespi recovering from surgery.

• Upvote 1

The OD pitching staff is looking like,

Gibson, GR, Bradish, Kremer, Voth

SP depth - Watkins, Means, Hall, Zimmerman, Baumann

Bautista, Tate, Perez, Givens, Wells, Baker, Akin, Politi

BP Depth - Khreibel, Hernandez, Vespi, Gilaspie, Cano

Only Perez and Voth are out of options. 

Elias has been great with the waiver wire game this year. The only player he’s lost is Jake Cave. I guess Jake Reed too, but I think we wanted to lose him. I wish we would’ve made a trade for Zach Thompson, oh well. I’d still like to see us pick up high upside arms to replace Gilaspie and Cano. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hopefully Hall is in the starting rotation and does well.

Not sure why you are hoping he doesn't play well enough to make the team.

Hall should be put in the AAA rotation and left alone. We need to develop this dude. Look at Bradish in the 2nd half as a development success story. Similar repertoire. Hall’s Curve was a joke in the MLB. He needs to tighten it up or move on like Bradish did. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hall should be put in the AAA rotation and left alone. We need to develop this dude. Look at Bradish in the 2nd half as a development success story. Similar repertoire. Hall’s Curve was a joke in the MLB. He needs to tighten it up or move on like Bradish did. 

Right, because no player ever managed to improve once they reached the majors.

The only way improvement is possible is in the minors.

Yep.

Also the xWOBA on his curve, all 16 of them that he threw, was .165.  It's probable he was tipping the pitch.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hopefully Hall is in the starting rotation and does well.

Not sure why you are hoping he doesn't play well enough to make the team.

Well if he pitches well enough to where he starts, that’s fine.  I was talking about the pen.

To me, he has to be a starter this year..whether it’s AAA or ML.

I still think they add a starter, so he won’t have the room as of yet to make the ML roster.