John Angelos/Mike Elias 1 hour interview 105.7 today

eddie83

41 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The FA SP market was crazy this offseason. Teams that weren’t predicted to spend spent. Almost every pitcher got more than projected. Heck, even Lyles did quite well. 

Should Elias have beaten the 4/68 to Taillon?  What does that look like for the Orioles?  4/75 or 4/80?  Then there was Pablo Lopez, but they wanted MLB top talent for him, and only Mullins fit their needs. Did we want Elias to trade Mullins for Lopez?  CF is the one position we don’t have immediate depth for. 

The FA market is going to be crazy and stupid every offseason.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The FA market is going to be crazy and stupid every offseason.

Luckily only SP is a clear need for us. We have the bats pipeline now. It sucks, we all want to win, but I don’t want to see us damage our window by mortgaging the future. Especially since that is what DD, did during our last window. 

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the market has changed you need to realize it and adjust your expectations.

I question if he's doing that.

If I go to the store expecting to pay the same price for eggs I did last January and I won't come off that stance I ain't eating any omelets.  I can go home without eggs and hope the price eventually goes down but I think we all know the days of really cheap eggs is over and the best we can hope for is less expensive eggs in the future.

And if he doesn’t adjust, it can be a lost year as a contender 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It may be…but it’s not going to drive ownership to say,  let’s spend a lot of money.  If they make the playoffs and get some extra revenue, that may help but I’m guessing you see another offseason of modest signings and perhaps the same or lower payroll depending on what you do with guys like Mullins and Santander.

I will never again go into an offseason with any expectation that the O’s will make significant acquisitions.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I will never again go into an offseason with any expectation that the O’s will make significant acquisitions.  

I agree but I am also torn.  On one hand other than Bassett, I don't really see any deal that I wished was us for the money or trade assets.  On the other hand, the market for pitching is almost never cheap and almost always requires risk in terms of years, money or talent.  

I think those that complain have merit, but until the Orioles secure talent that moves the needle by trade or via FA, these questions will persist.  

It seems to me that Elias has earned very high marks for acquisition via draft, waiver pickups and for development.  Saying so doesn't indicate blind worship of the very good job that has been done.

But until the Orioles win a World Series, or at the very least appear in one, the job is incomplete.  If the goal is continuous competition, I can get on board with that....but ultimately...just win baby.

• Upvote 1

These are the type of concerts John Angelos should bring to Camden Yards  Who wants Paul McCartney when you can have Pig Fetus and Cannibal Corpse. 

Hell In The Harbor Festival to rock Baltimore this May
https://baltimorefishbowl.com/stories/hell-in-the-harbor-festival-to-rock-baltimore-this-may/

Edited by Going Underground
  • Upvote 1

I've mentioned before my concern that part of the explanation for Elias' failure to close a deal to spend big dollars or valuable talent to make an acquisition to improve the Orioles may be that he's never done either and is shrinking from the risk that his reputation will suffer if he makes a big deal that doesn't work out to the Orioles' advantage. 

I'm getting the same vibe about Elias's apparent view that it's not yet time for lift-off, or the window isn't quite open yet. He decided at the deadline last season it wasn't time to give up anything for a trade that might have put the Orioles into the postseason. Elias has been given all kinds of credit for the Orioles' surprising run last year. If he'd made some trades in an effort to go for it, he might have been less complimented and more criticized if the Orioles didn't secure a WC berth. I sense the same thing happening now -- an avoidance of the risk of making a concerted run for the post-season and missing, with the stated reason/excuse that the market wasn't right for a free-agent signing or trade. So when is the time  to go for it, and is there some reason to believe the free-agent or trade market will be softer then?

Even with one of MLB's lowest payrolls, you can't impress the baseball world forever with a succession of .500 seasons.