Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

9 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I think this is correct, but only if he continues to flash the good side of his streakiness.  If he continues as he is currently, I think his days are numbered.

Either way, it's clear the Orioles are taking a path that says the younger players have to prove they are better.  Of course, they have to have actually action to do so.

As long as the Orioles are winning, we see a slower process.  If that changes then, opportunities will abound.

Agreed.  Elias has shown he is very aggressive on promoting players throughout the minor league levels, but very conservative when promoting prospects from AAA to the majors.  In the past two years, if you're not the #1 prospect in all of baseball you're not going to get a legit chance in the majors to prove yourself.

I understand not wanting to have too many rookies playing on a contending team, but Westburg and Cowser have proved they are ready for the next level....and even if they struggle initially, would they really be that much worse than who they replaced?

11 minutes ago, Otter said:

Agreed.  Elias has shown he is very aggressive on promoting players throughout the minor league levels, but very conservative when promoting prospects from AAA to the majors.  In the past two years, if you're not the #1 prospect in all of baseball you're not going to get a legit chance in the majors to prove yourself.

I understand not wanting to have too many rookies playing on a contending team, but Westburg and Cowser have proved they are ready for the next level....and even if they struggle initially, would they really be that much worse than who they replaced?

I think the bottom of your post is where the rubber meets the road.  Even if the Orioles continue to win, these guys have to begin breaking in as the season progresses or 24 starts in the same spot.   I really don't think that is what is going to happen.  I think we will see these guys pushing into the lineup soon...even if it isn't everyday.

I think the AS game should have a new event.  It should be in the style of "Name That Tune" except it should be "Strike Out Ryan Mountcastle."

Pitcher 1:  I can strike out Ryan Mountcastle in 6 pitches.

Pitcher 2:  I can strike out Ryan Mountcastle in 5 pitches.

Pitcher 1:  I can strike out Ryan Mountcastle in 3 pitches.

Pitcher 2:  Pitcher 1, strike out Ryan Mountcastle.

It would be a hit!

(And I do feel a bit bad for kicking him when he's down.  He's not THIS bad.)

• 2 weeks later...

Mountcastle seems lost.  Watching him last night was very discouraging.  He is swinging as soon the ball is pitched regardless of where it is thrown, zero pitch recognition.  

Something is wrong - is he unwilling to make adjustments, listen to the hitting coaches, watch video or unable to?  

Sometimes players lose their way - see Cody Bellinger - and then recover with a new environment/coaches - see 2012-2016 Chris Davis.   He needs a complete reset and should stay in Norfolk through the All-Star break.  

Good trade candidate for a relief pitcher - could see KC, Oakland,  Dodgers taking a shot.  Given his age, barrel result, EV when he makes contact, most teams will determine they can fix him. Os would be better served moving on unfortunately. 

Edited by Pat Kelly
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

Mountcastle seems lost.  Watching him last night was very discouraging.  He is swinging as soon the ball is pitched regardless of where it is thrown, zero pitch recognition.  

Something is wrong - is he unwilling to make adjustments, listen to the hitting coaches, watch video or unable to?  

Sometimes players lose their way - see Cody Bellinger - and then recover with a new environment/coaches - see 2012-2016 Chris Davis.   He needs a complete reset and should stay in Norfolk through the All-Star break.  

Good trade candidate for a relief pitcher - could see KC, Oakland,  Dodgers taking a shot.  Given his age, barrel result, EV when he makes contact, most teams will determine they can fix him. Os would be better served moving on unfortunately. 

You are probably right but I would be interested to see what our player development guys can do with him.  You figure the current guys we have in the minors didn't really get to work with him much based on when he was promoted.  He has an option so if he is open to a reset in Norfolk to work on things and get his confidence back he could be a huge lineup boost later in the season if he gets it going again.

1 hour ago, Pat Kelly said:

Moving on is the right thing to do even if there weren't something going on with Mountcastle, whether it's the vertigo or something else leading to his further decline. The organization has too many prospects to stick with Mountcastle at 1B, both later this season once Kjerstad is ready, and longer-term when players like Westburg and Mayo can get at bats at 1B starting in 2024.