Orioles Acquire LHP Cole Irvin from the A's for Darrel Hernaiz

LTO's

19 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Baseball Trade Values has this as pretty lopsided for the Orioles. They have Irvin at 15 million surplus value, Virbitsky at like 1.6 and Hernaiz at 2.7

I think Irvin enjoys much of that edge on Hernaiz by virtue of keeping his chin above water.     They are probably right to ding prospects because they fail so much (e.g. just on Orioles they have proven Mullins near same level as prospect Holliday now, but I'd never switch them), but if one Club likes one prospect well enough I believe the rental MLB player they can get will look good.

If Irvin provides about $8mm in field value the next few years, his surplus unrolls maybe like 7-5-3-0, so I figure after the Club/Arb1 years the tender decision could be close.

12 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

One side effect of this trade is that it reduces the odds that DL Hall makes the opening day roster.  If the O's still want to give him a chance to make it as a starter (which I think is the right decision), then he will need to spend more time working at AAA on his command (also I think the right decision).  

It could be a battle between Akin and Hall for the LH long relief role. The way Akin pitched in the 2nd half of the season, I don't think his roster spot is solid.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

It could be a battle between Akin and Hall for the LH long relief role. The way Akin pitched in the 2nd half of the season, I don't think his roster spot is solid.

I feel like Akin could be a big regression candidate. I wonder if Elias looks to trade him. From how he was used I got the feeling Akin does not have Hyde's confidence.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

That's what I said literally at every transaction. Externally, I don't know if we've improved the team much at all. Internally, with more playing time for young players, there should be improvement

Small multiple improvements can collectively have a bigger impact than the board thinks.  Every single move he has made has improved the team on paper from 2022. 

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Even though I like this trade, I still feel the need to say this offseason is still a giant skidmark on a fresh pair of tighty whities.  

The visual is compelling. 

This post has to be one of the early leaders for post of the year. Well done, sir.

Edited by Jim'sKid26
spelling

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Small multiple improvements can collectively have a bigger impact than the board thinks.  Every single move he has made has improved the team on paper from 2022. 

I think people ignore the impact of having a full season of Gunnar and Adley with pretty much a full season under his belt.

Also, when you look down our lineup, most of our guys are more likely to improve from last season than are to regress.

We didn't add a stud starter, but we have added depth. Ideally, a guy like Spencer Watkins won't be getting 20 starts next season. And we will have competition for bullpen spots.

The only high probability area for regression on the roster is the back end of the bullpen.

• Upvote 1