Orioles Acquire LHP Cole Irvin from the A's for Darrel Hernaiz

LTO's

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Off the top of my head I'd say Hernaiz is roughly equivalent in value to a late second round pick at this point.  I certainly wouldn't expect a late second round pick to end up being more than Hernaiz is.

I have a question for you.  More value....Irvin or a free agent pitcher that received a Qualifying Offer?

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/starting-pitcher/

Not as many options as many people think. Irvin for four years looks like a bargain considering what other pitchers got. 

I would not have wanted us to trade Mullins the Lopez trade package. 

Honestly, I’d rather have this trade and our flexibility versus the Eovaldi deal + picks. All things considered, I prefer Irvin over the Eovaldi, Anderson, and Eflin, deals. 

This trade has some good value in the other factors going on. Hernaiz is our #5 SS prospect. Strength for weakness trade. He was never going to be a SS for us. What’s then his value at 2B?  This is selling pretty high. LH SP. 4 years of control. One option remaining. O’s avoid tough 40 man decision with Hernaiz next year.

We tout the Rays for making trades to avoid the 40 man crunch but some only like moves that are for $15+ million a year. I get it. You want to see Angelos spend money. Well, that’s not my objective. I want us to win. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ven6 said:

I like it. It seems smart to me.

Hernaiz was a long shot to survive the gauntlet of prospects ahead of him.

Some of Irvin's numbers I like:

• 4 years of team control
  • 1.16 WHIP last year
  • less hits (174) than innings pitched (181)
  • 3.56 SO/W ratio 
  • 30 starts, 181 innings suggests an average of 6 innings a start

94 and 97 ERA+ the last two years. Very low BB/9. Seems like Sig and Holt favor low BB/9 guys to play in our new ballpark. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Must you be a troll with every smart ass post? 

Irvin “ 4.00 ERA pitcher with a terrible K per 9.“

Virbitsky “And a 5 era minor leaguer” 

So Irvin’s ERA in the majors in career (4 seasons) is 4.40. I could care less what his minor league numbers after being up for 4 MLB seasons. 

Virbisky is the minor leaguer with the 4.49 ERA.

So what did I make up?

It does take some doing to round 4.49 up to 5.

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

For a second I thought I had to defend Roll Tide.

Kyle Virbitsky has a 4.49 ERA in the minors.  I think Tide saw his 5.06 RA9.

Thanks …you can’t win with him. He’s just trolling every post of mine regardless of the subject. It’s a Lamar Jackson thing that dates back to my wasted time posting on BSL.

Edited by Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Thanks …you can’t win with him. He’s just trolling every post of mine regardless of the subject. It’s a Lamar Jackson thing that dates back to my wasted time posting on BSL.

I could tell you meant Virbitsky right off the bat but since he wasn't mentioned in the original tweet I guess he was forgotten about.

I'm guessing we will all be forgetting about him in short order.  😉

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It does take some doing to round 4.49 up to 5.

As I said he’s just trolling ….when you constantly target a poster and are looking for something to be critical about you can find it. 

Don’t care about the pitcher. He’s a crappy minor league pitcher that either ends up a mop up guy best case. 

The deal is another typical Elias collecting for the trash pile. As I mentioned, I don’t care about weighing the trade based on what we gave up. If it’s our 4 or 5 best SS prospect for a mediocre MLB starter and a less than AAAA minor league pitcher it’s just swapping junk. 

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Can you count on Eovaldi to be both better and give you as many innings as Irvin?

Hard to say regarding innings.  I definitely like Irvin's durability. 

But Eovaldi has more upside due to his significantly higher K rate (averaged over 1 K per inning in 2019-2021, just missed in 2022) and his longer track record of success, plus succeeding in the AL East.  Plus, while Irvin is a lefty, he has reverse splits, so Walltimore won't necessarily help him more than a righty-handed starter.  Aside from a rough 2019, his WHIP is comparable to Irvin's, a few points worse.

Irvin worries me due to the soft-tossing nature and seemingly poor stuff.  But as I said, I like the deal and am hoping for the best. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think Gibson, Bradish, Kremer,  Grayson, Wells, or Voth all look better than him.   He looks like pitching depth with no guarantee that he makes the 26 man roster. 

Good inning eater.  Holt must see something he can fix.   I think he competes for a spot in ST.

Jake Rill begs to differ:

While Irvin and Gibson will be locks for the Orioles’ rotation, the battles for the final three spots have tightened. Dean Kremer, Kyle Bradish and Tyler Wells all pitched well at times last year and will be favorites in the mix, while Grayson Rodriguez, the club’s top pitching prospect, has a high chance of earning a rotation spot in Spring Training.

Austin Voth, DL Hall, Mike Baumann and Bruce Zimmermann are also starting candidates. Those who don’t make the rotation will either pitch out of Baltimore’s bullpen or start for Triple-A Norfolk to open 2023.

Yikes, this really changes our previous in-house outlook. Grayson no longer a lock, with Wells ahead of him by this account. Voth and Hall banished for now. Of course, things always change due to injuries, etc. So what we fantasize as a 5-man rotation really means 9-10 arms in the mix, as the season progresses. BTW John Means says hi, too.

https://www.mlb.com/news/cole-irvin-orioles-trade

27 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Here was a pretty good comment poking around an OAKLAND commentary section....

Someone needs to come off 40 man roster to fit in Jesus Aguilar. I thought maybe a trade with Kap but he’s injured, This is a surprise, Cole figured to be opening day starter. We do have a lot of starting pitcher depth.

I know he's not a great upgrade for us but I have a real hard time seeing this deal from Oakland's standpoint. Even if they like Hernaiz that feels like not enough for four years of a league average starter.

4 minutes ago, now said:

Jake Rill begs to differ:

While Irvin and Gibson will be locks for the Orioles’ rotation, the battles for the final three spots have tightened. Dean Kremer, Kyle Bradish and Tyler Wells all pitched well at times last year and will be favorites in the mix, while Grayson Rodriguez, the club’s top pitching prospect, has a high chance of earning a rotation spot in Spring Training.

Austin Voth, DL Hall, Mike Baumann and Bruce Zimmermann are also starting candidates. Those who don’t make the rotation will either pitch out of Baltimore’s bullpen or start for Triple-A Norfolk to open 2023.

Yikes, this really changes our previous in-house outlook. Grayson no longer a lock, with Wells ahead of him by this account. Voth and Hall banished for now. Of course, things always change due to injuries, etc. So what we fantasize as a 5-man rotation really means 9-10 arms in the mix, as the season progresses. BTW John Means says hi, too.

https://www.mlb.com/news/cole-irvin-orioles-trade

I wonder if Voth becomes a sneaky sell high trade chip. Bradish too.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I know he's not a great upgrade for us but I have a real hard time seeing this deal from Oakland's standpoint. Even if they like Hernaiz that feels like not enough for four years of a league average starter.

It's not going to be four years.

No one is going to pay this guy Arb3 to stick around.

• Upvote 1