Orioles Acquire LHP Cole Irvin from the A's for Darrel Hernaiz

LTO's

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think picking up a below average pitcher is something that can be called a strong move.

It's a move. 

How is a LHP who put up 3.4 rWAR over the last two years a below average pitcher? It’s maybe not a move that any of us saw coming, but in return for a fringe top 30 organizational prospect while Irvin has four years of control left, if it’s not a strong move, I think it’s at least a very solid move. Unless you want to pick nits. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Considering roster construction and pitcher usage I don't give much value to the volume of innings pitched.

For the record I'm not saying he's awful, but this isn't a "strong move".

Well at least we both agree on your other statement. This IS a move. 🙂

6 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

How is a LHP who put up 3.4 rWAR over the last two years a below average pitcher? It’s maybe not a move that any of us saw coming, but in return for a fringe top 30 organizational prospect while Irvin has four years of control left, if it’s not a strong move, I think it’s at least a very solid move. Unless you want to pick nits. 

Because an "average" player puts up 2 WAR a season.  3.4 < 4.0.

Since you wanted to use rWAR as your argument.

I don't think it's picking nits.  I think calling this a "strong move" is overstating the move.  A strong move would have been adding an actual #1-#3 pitcher like he said he was going to do.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

This was a good move inasmuch as it got a reasonable return on a player who probably wouldn't have seen any MLB time with this club because he plays a position at which we have a bumper crop of emerging talent.

This isn't the last middle infield prospect that will be dealt.

• Upvote 1

I've already talked about how I like the move, but it's interesting this is the trade Elias went with. There were probably discussions, or at least the option of discussions, on trades with better prospects leaving the org and a better pitcher in return.

Choosing this one tells me he didn't like the trade price of other options and maybe prioritized holding on to our top 5 to 10 guys over getting a better pitcher. We'll see how it goes but I'm not sure that's the right call in our position.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

This is as an 'Orioles 2023 offseason move " as can be ..........A 3 letter word DEFINES this Orioles offseason in its ENTIRETY  and that word is >>>>> MEH !

That's what I said literally at every transaction. Externally, I don't know if we've improved the team much at all. Internally, with more playing time for young players, there should be improvement

4 minutes ago, Jim&#x27;sKid26 said:

To my man Kyle Virbitsky:  We are!

80 innings in the California League was his most on one team as he went through both A-ball levels.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=8&stats=pit&qual=80&type=1&team=&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=11,1

Link shows him 2nd in the league at K-BB% among guys logging that many innings there last year.    The 4.78 ERA was 9th of the 26 guys who got there in that hitter's league.

30+ innings in the High-A Midwest League (it still doesn't feel right California is Low-A, and Midwest is High-A), the K-BB% was around 60th out of 190 guys (Minnesota Cade Povich showed up higher in that listing).

• Upvote 1