Orioles Acquire LHP Cole Irvin from the A's for Darrel Hernaiz

LTO's

42 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We do have Means coming back sometime. Also, we have the trade deadline. 

Sure. Just have to hope he is healthy and we are playing for something. 

More and more I like our chances of being in the mix. Elias has created far better depth. Question is can we get to the 88-90 win type team or are we at 83-85? 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

At the Coliseum last year Irvin gave up 6 homers in 17 games.

Away he gave up 19 homers in 13 games.   Away hitters had an 874 OPS.

O's are going to need some Holt magic to turn that around.

Lol…I guess last year didn’t happen with the wall and the suppression of homers.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That isn't going to help with the road games.

So? 

He’s a flyball pitcher. He’s going to give up homers. 

But for half-ish of his starts, he’s in a park where the HR ball won’t be as much of an issue in all likelihood.

The Os signed Gibson, a guy with homer issues of his own but yet Irvin isn’t one of our top 6 starters and Gibson clearly is?  The whole thought process makes zero sense.

I was traveling yesterday so this is my first chance to weigh in on this move.  My first reaction when I heard it was this is highway robbery for the Orioles, getting an established major league starter who’s thrown 360 innings the last two years and has four years of team control in exchange for a solid 2B/SS prospect who’s about 4th/5th on our depth chart at either position and is two years away from the majors.  Having now looked at Irvin’s x stats, I’m slightly less enthusiastic, but I still think it’s a very solid trade for the O’s.   I wouldn’t say Irvin is necessarily better than our other rotation candidates, but he solidifies our floor and increases our flexibility.  

I fully expect that Irvin will be in the OD rotation.   And here’s a chance for Holt and the analytics staff to show if they can help turn a serviceable starter into a good one.   I’d rather do this move than sign Wacha.   There’s more upside here.

• Upvote 2

He's given up 9 homers against the Astros in 5 games in Houston and yet has pitched pretty decently overall there.  2-2.  5.35 ERA (not terrible considering that amount of homers)  and 1.055 (WHIP) which suggests he doesn't pitch scared.

Edited by RZNJ

41 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He's given up 9 homers against the Astros in 5 games in Houston and yet has pitched pretty decently overall there.  2-2.  5.35 ERA (not terrible considering that amount of homers)  and 1.055 (WHIP) which suggests he doesn't pitch scared.

That lines up with what I've been reading. He works quickly and efficiently, doesn't nibble too much and avoids the walks, but leaves too many pitches in hittable spots. He's right around league average in HR/9, with most of that damage obviously coming on the road.

No doubt he needs to work on a few things to become more than what he is, but the floor seems more than solid. In his comments today he touted himself for his pitch selection and ability to locate, and said he's trying to tap into an increase in velocity and better longevity given how he wore down last September. Saying the right things, and no reason to expect him to achieve those outcomes necessarily, but I'd like to see what he and Adley can do together with gameplan, pitch selection and location. Of course, I assume Sean Murphy was a pretty pitcher-friendly catcher too.

I think there may actually be a little bit of letdown amongst us fans, ironically enough, because of how little it feels like we gave up for him. Here's a durable, innings-eating lefty with solid command and four years of team control, and we had an interesting lottery ticket thrown in, all just for Darnell Hernaiz? Given the big contracts we've seen guys get this off-season, it's indicative that MLB teams are either really turned off by Irvin's underlying metrics and ballpark factor, or Hernaiz must be really well regarded throughout the industry.

• Upvote 1

I haven't broken them down in detail, but Irvin ended last year pretty badly. His ERA in September was over 8. The slide started in August when he had two starts with 5 ER and one with 6 ER.

Before August, he was really really good. 

So maybe this innings limit thing is a bit of a misnomer. IDK, but the stats everyone's citing definitely included a period where he wasn't the same for whatever reason. Maybe it's as simple as he wore down.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I haven't broken them down in detail, but Irvin ended last year pretty badly. His ERA in September was over 8. The slide started in August when he had two starts with 5 ER and one with 6 ER.

So maybe this innings limit thing is a bit of a misnomer. IDK, but the stats everyone's citing definitely included a period where he wasn't the same for whatever reason. Maybe it's as simple as he wore down.

When you don’t get Ks and don’t miss bats, you are going to have games where you get lit up.

21 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Interesting that he and Gibson both crashed at the end of last year. I wonder if somebody found something correctable that caused the crash. 

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

When you don’t get Ks and don’t miss bats, you are going to have games where you get lit up.

Well, there's less margin for error when you're not feeling great. My guess is he didn't exactly have a live arm in the last 6ish weeks of last year. 

As an aside, I wonder how much this trade starts to validate the O's philosophy of taking hitters in the draft. They just turned a 5th rounder into a cost controlled average ML starter and another arm. 

It's a snippet of what's possible through this approach. Have to wonder what Stowers, Kjerstad, Beavers, Mullins, Hays, Santander, Cowser, Rhodes, Fabian, Haskin end up turning into.

• Upvote 1