Roch: O's Looking for Defensive Minded OF

SpOkane

Not sure if this was mentioned in any threads, but Roch mentioned this: "The interesting pursuit, however spirited, is a defensive-minded corner outfielder who can be trusted in left field."

Why do my spidey senses tell me it is Aaron Hicks?

Orioles roster seems to be nearing completion but hasn't necessarily reached that point - Blog (masnsports.com)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SpOkane said:

Not sure if this was mentioned in any threads, but Roch mentioned this: "The interesting pursuit, however spirited, is a defensive-minded corner outfielder who can be trusted in left field."

Why do my spidey senses tell me it is Aaron Hicks?

Orioles roster seems to be nearing completion but hasn't necessarily reached that point - Blog (masnsports.com)

I guess they want to upgrade the McKenna spot.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Stowers continues to be pushed down the depth chart.

This is a need though, as I have pointed out since the start of the offseason.

It should be someone that pushes Hays (not Stowers)to the bench but I doubt that is the case.

I think this is more about pushing McKenna off the roster.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Trade for Alek Thomas.

Arizona has a glut of outfielders, Carroll will play all season and Thomas had a down second half so he should come fairly cheap.

As a bonus or two, he bats LH, can steal bases and play CF.

That .275 OBP will set some folks here off.

I'd be fine with him in a McKenna role.

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think this is more about pushing McKenna off the roster.

That makes no sense. He’s a good piece to have. 

I think it’s more about not having Santander play the OF.

Stowers, McKenna, Hays and Mullins are your current OFers. You need 5.

But Cowser is very close..and other options could emerge quickly as well.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

That makes no sense. He’s a good piece to have. 

I think it’s more about not having Santander play the OF.

Stowers, McKenna, Hays and Mullins are your current OFers. You need 5.

But Cowser is very close..and other options could emerge quickly as well.

I think Santander will be in the outfield fairly regularly.  Probably close to half the time.  He'll be in RF in Camden; LF in Bos, etc.  They'll protect him out there, but he will be out there.

There's nothing "wrong" with McKenna as a 5th outfielder but he's essentially a replaement player.

If you can upgrade the roster spot, why not?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That .275 OBP will set some folks here off.

I'd be fine with him in a McKenna role.

If you look at his 2019 and 2021 minor league seasons, his OBP was .379 and .394 respectively, so until he reached the majors getting on base was a solid part of his game.  Substitute him for McKenna and the upside from that spot skyrockets IMO. 

• Upvote 1

This is a lefty backup in case  Hays is hurt.  This outfielder has to have speed to play  left field and be able to hit righties.   Hays over his career has hit lefties better than righties.  

Its only until Cowser is ready.   So the player will be very cheap.  

There is a Mullins/McKenna  platoon  possibility so McKenna can't play two positions at once.   McKenna has not hit righties well in the majors.

Stowers is not considered because he has only average speed.

Vavra only has average speed.  Cordero has the speed but does not hit well.  Cameron has the speed but does not hit well and hits right-handed. 

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think Santander will be in the outfield fairly regularly.  Probably close to half the time.  He'll be in RF in Camden; LF in Bos, etc.  They'll protect him out there, but he will be out there.

There's nothing "wrong" with McKenna as a 5th outfielder but he's essentially a replaement player.

If you can upgrade the roster spot, why not?

You aren’t likely upgrading McKenna with a better 5th OFer.

Santander’s defense has declined, as has Hays. Mullins struggled vs lefties most of his career. McKenna is your best back up CFer and can play the corners above average as well.

Santander should be the regular DH/part time first baseman and spot/emergency start in the OF. There is no reason to put him out there if you bring in another good COer.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

If you look at his 2019 and 2021 minor league seasons, his OBP was .379 and .394 respectively, so until he reached the majors getting on base was a solid part of his game.  Substitute him for McKenna and the upside from that spot skyrockets IMO. 

The only thing is I would imagine they want a RH hitter who can play CF to pair with Mullins.

Not sure what they are looking for.    Doesn't Vavra play a decent LF and provide a LH bat?   Doesn't McKenna play good defense and provide something with the bat?    They left Brett Phillips go?     They have Daz Cameron at Norfolk.   I'd have to assume it's someone better than those guys.   A LH bat that plays good defense in LF?    That would push both O'Hearn and Vavra off the roster.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

You aren’t likely upgrading McKenna with a better 5th OFer.

Santander’s defense has declined, as has Hays. Mullins struggled vs lefties most of his career. McKenna is your best back up CFer and can play the corners above average as well.

Santander should be the regular DH/part time first baseman and spot/emergency start in the OF. There is no reason to put him out there if you bring in another good COer.

Besides Mullins sure, McKenna is your best defensive outfielder.  He's also the definition of a replacement player.  His roster spot could easily be upgraded.  I agree though, whoever they were to target would need to be RH and be able to handle CF as well.