DANIEL CABRERA 1/13 - lights out in DR playoffs!

Boy Howdy

Daniel Cabrera continues to look sharper every time out.

Tonight in the Dominican League playoffs

5 ip

5 h (all singles)

0 r

1 bb

9 k

Cabrera is now 2-1 with a 0.64 ERA in the post-season.

At 10-5, Daniel's Licey club is in good shape to earn a spot in the Domincan championship series, while the Aguilas club he defeated tonight won't be able to defend their title after dropping to 2-12 in the round robin tournament.

Is this the only game he pitched?

I wonder if he had any success in the recent past.

Cabrera, like most big leaguers, made only a few token appearances in the 50-game regular season schedule, pitching to a 6.23 over 4 1/3 innings in two starts.

He's started three times in the 18-game round robin playoff semi-finals, going 2-1 with a 0.64 ERA in 14 total innings with a 15:6 strikeout:walk ratio. His loss came because of a trio of unearned runs.

I'm trying to get some velocity reports from eyewitnesses, but nothing yet.

FWIW, Alfredo Simon is also starting in the playoffs (for the Gigantes club). After going 2-0, 4.57 in five regular season starts (24 h in 21 2/3 ip with 17:5 K:BB), Simon's been rocked so far in the playoffs:

A. Simon: 0-1, 9.00, 2st, 8ip, 10h, 10r, 8er, 2bb, 8k

He was looking really sharp last year right up until he hurt his arm and didn't tell anyone. At the very least, I would have called his performance pre-injury as solid, but maybe I'm forgetting. I think he's finally gotten it and just got unlucky when he was injured. For D-Cab's sake, I hope we missed the boat on this one and it's not another fluke... he could use some success.

Archived