Elias makes two things clear; 1st base and Irvin

wildcard

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m impressed that @wildcardwill admit it when the evidence goes against a couple of his theories.  Now I’m wondering if Elias calling Ortiz a “defensive wizard” and GRod predicting Ortiz will win a couple of Gold Gloves is enough to convince him that Ortiz is probably a better defensive SS than Gunnar.   

Personally, I don’t share Elias’ craving for a LH bat at 1B, unless it’s a really good LH bat.   In his career, O’Hearn has a .716 OPS vs.  RHP.   There are plenty of RH hitters who can do better than that, so who cares if he’s left-handed?

I think he's thinking the patio is easier to reach than the wall behind death valley in left.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Wow. Another thread started by the same person to complain about the obvious fact that Irvin was brought here to be part of the rotation.

Wow. Another complaint about a guy posting stuff about Oriole baseball instead of about other posters.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m impressed that @wildcardwill admit it when the evidence goes against a couple of his theories.  Now I’m wondering if Elias calling Ortiz a “defensive wizard” and GRod predicting Ortiz will win a couple of Gold Gloves is enough to convince him that Ortiz is probably a better defensive SS than Gunnar.   

Personally, I don’t share Elias’ craving for a LH bat at 1B, unless it’s a really good LH bat.   In his career, O’Hearn has a .716 OPS vs.  RHP.   There are plenty of RH hitters who can do better than that, so who cares if he’s left-handed?

While I recognize  that Elias is headed in a different direction than I think is  best, that does not mean that I agree with him.  Just that I have no control over the situation and I realize that.

Gunnar is saying that he expects to be playing both SS and 3B for the O's beginning on OD.   Meanwhile Ortiz is still projected to begin in the minors.  ST will be interesting to see Ortiz, Mateo and Gunnar play SS.  That may  show who will play the most at SS this season.  I know Ortiz is considered a very good SS.  But better than Gunnar at SS is still a question for me.

Edited by wildcard

2 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Not sure it was done solely to justify utilizing poor pitchers as much as it was about enticing pitchers in general.

It also ties in to their strong investment of high draft capital into LHBs which was occuring before the wall move (Adley, Gunnar, Stowers, Kjerstad, Cowser). They've since continued with Holliday/Beavers, and then their actions in free agency this year seem to tie in too (Frazier, looking for another potential LH OF/1B).

Seems to me like they're just trying to completely marginalize RH batters at OPACY and develop a competitive advantage with a future LH dominated lineup.

Perhaps they could have just tried to develop BOTH pitchers and hitters as opposed to ruining the aesthetics and charm of the best ballpark in baseball? I mean, look at the Reds. The play in a bandbox and they have a TON of great young arms in their system. And it's not like Elias didn't know the dimensions of the ballpark when he took the job. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Perhaps they could have just tried to develop BOTH pitchers and hitters as opposed to ruining the aesthetics and charm of the best ballpark in baseball? I mean, look at the Reds. The play in a bandbox and they have a TON of great young arms in their system. And it's not like Elias didn't know the dimensions of the ballpark when he took the job. 

Yeah, why don't we try to be more like the Cincinnati Reds?!

2 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

200.gif

*Edited by Legend_of_Joey*

*I do not care if you have a different opinion than someone else. Find a better and more mature way to make a reply to them without that type of picture that is now deleted.*

Edited by Legend_Of_Joey
Removing picture
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Can one of the mods please delete this super tactful post so we all don't have to literally stare at a pile of sh*t in this thread? Please and thank you. 

I will delete it myself if you can explain using a team who has to trade their ace and rebuild because they stink so bad is a reason to maintain stadium dimensions that handcuffs our organization.

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

Wow, lots of passion for stadium aesthetics! I'm usually pretty sensitive to those things and I really hardly even noticed it personally. Saying it "ruined" the aesthetics and charm strikes me as a bit over the top, but to each their own.

And sure, the front office could pass up on opportunities they think may give them a competitive advantage boost, but I'd prefer that they didn't if it actually yields results. Besides, it's not like teams don't move walls frequently.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I hear ya. I find myself muttering the same question a lot during the season. Maybe it's like the old Strat-O-Matic dilemma: there are the hitter's splits to consider; but even if they don't present an advantage, there are also the opposing pitcher's splits to consider. Does that translate into or reflect actual MLB decision-making? It's the only explanation I can think of...

7 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Wow, lots of passion for stadium aesthetics! I'm usually pretty sensitive to those things and I really hardly even noticed it personally. Saying it "ruined" the aesthetics and charm strikes me as a bit over the top, but to each their own.

And sure, the front office could pass up on opportunities they think may give them a competitive advantage boost, but I'd prefer that they didn't if it actually yields results. Besides, it's not like teams don't move walls frequently.

Fair enough and I'm all for competitive advantages, but at the same time changing the dimensions of the ballpark rather than placing an emphasis on the development and/or acquisition of young pitching seems just as extreme to me. And prior to this season, have teams really moved their walls that frequently? Maybe they have, and I'm just not remembering. In hindsight, maybe using the word "ruined" was a bit too harsh, but I think OPACY definitely looked better before the change.  

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

Fair enough and I'm all for competitive advantages, but at the same time changing the dimensions of the ballpark rather than placing an emphasis on the development and/or acquisition of young pitching seems just as extreme to me. And prior to this season, have teams really moved their walls that frequently? Maybe they have, and I'm just not remembering. In hindsight, maybe using the word "ruined" was a bit too harsh, but I think OPACY definitely looked better before the change.  

I actually like the aesthetics of the new wall.  But it’s a matter of taste.