Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

Say he gets promoted to AA and continues to put up similar ungodly offensive numbers, what would it take to sign Holliday long term (10-15 years)? Would 10/200 with some additional team options get it done this year or next? That’s more than what the Rays gave Franco, but JH can probably afford to hold out for a bigger contract than the Tampa offer.

I know that extending Adley and Gunnar should be / will be higher priorities, but my gut tells me Holliday has real potential to be the next in line for the Brooks / Cal iconic lifetime Oriole class should ownership decide to extend him early. Doing so would also announce to the baseball world that the Orioles were no longer the cheapest guys in town, which the fan base really needs to hear. 

5 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Say he gets promoted to AA and continues to put up similar ungodly offensive numbers, what would it take to sign Holliday long term (10-15 years)? Would 10/200 with some additional team options get it done this year or next? That’s more than what the Rays gave Franco, but JH can probably afford to hold out for a bigger contract than the Tampa offer.

By my slightly inebriated back of the envelope math, if he is the real deal and a star shortstop (for the sake of argument), he will make around $50 mil in his pre-arb and arb years. So a 10/200 would be roughly the equivalent of playing out his pre-arb and arb years and then giving him 5 for 150. Which for the team and the market in ~2030 would be a very reasonable deal. Whether that would get it done, that probably depends on what he does at the ML level.

Just now, HandsomeQuack said:

By my slightly inebriated back of the envelope math, if he is the real deal and a star shortstop (for the sake of argument), he will make around $50 mil in his pre-arb and arb years. So a 10/200 would be roughly the equivalent of playing out his pre-arb and arb years and then giving him 5 for 150. Which for the team and the market in ~2030 would be a very reasonable deal. Whether that would get it done, that probably depends on what he does at the ML level.

4 for 150, my gosh. Much higher AAV but probably around market rate for a star player seven years from now.

9 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I know that extending Adley and Gunnar should be / will be higher priorities, but my gut tells me Holliday has real potential to be the next in line for the Brooks / Cal iconic lifetime Oriole class should ownership decide to extend him early. Doing so would also announce to the baseball world that the Orioles were no longer the cheapest guys in town, which the fan base really needs to hear. 

Holliday is not taking any kind of deal with team options. Do you known who his agent is? 

His life circumstance is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from Wander. Wander comes from an impoverished background. Holliday grew up in privilege with his dad being a multimillionaire ball player.

I’m not saying that an extension is not possible, but we are going to have to give him  “the bag”. There will be no extremely team friendly deal with a Boras client. We are going to have to pay up, as we should if he is truly as special as he appears.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Holliday is not taking any kind of deal with team options. Do you known who his agent is? 

His life circumstance is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from Wander. Wander comes from an impoverished background. Holliday grew up in privilege with his dad being a multimillionaire ball player.

I’m not saying that an extension is not possible, but we are going to have to give him  “the bag”. There will be no extremely team friendly deal with a Boras client. We are going to have to pay up, as we should if he is truly as special as he appears.

He could sign an 8-9 year deal and still be in line for a large 9 figure contract while already having 180-200M in his pocket.

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

We shouldn't expect hometown discounts, but the market price of a player who is 20 and you're baking in projections is different than one who is 25 and has shown it. There's more risk, but I think it's worth assuming those risks with a kid you've been scouting and developing since they were 17.

20 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Impoverished?  His dad (and brothers) were pro players and his uncles are Willy & Erik Aybar.  I imagine he grew up fairly comfortable but who knows.  Not something I’d speculate on, however.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He could sign an 8-9 year deal and still be in line for a large 9 figure contract while already having 180-200M in his pocket.

I’m all for us giving him the deal Soto turned down or JRod signed. Or if he would take a shorter 8-10 year deal, I’m good with that. 

I’m just realistic enough to know that you don’t chose Boras as an agent to sign a team friendly deal where you don’t maximize your earning potential. Plus again, his dad was a ball player some I’m sure he has a very good handle on the business of the game.

Also, I would like to sign him and Adley is possible. It sends a bad message in the clubhouse if you bypass a guy like him who is already deserving to extend a guy who hasn’t even done anything with the big club yet. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Impoverished?  His dad (and brothers) were pro players and his uncles are Willy & Erik Aybar.  I imagine he grew up fairly comfortable but who knows.  Not something I’d speculate on, however.  

That’s a fair point. Whoever his dad was a minor league player in the 1990’s so no big salary there. Plus he grew up in the Dominican. I’m not sure how many times you’ve visited the DR, but let’s just say I know from first hand experience that there is a BIG difference between life there and here. Maybe he was one of the fortunate few there? But if his life resembled anything close to the average young person growing up in the DR, it’s safe to say that would be MUCH DIFFERENT than a Jackson Holliday, son of Matt.