Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

12 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

As much as I love Adley, we have him for 5 more years and he's a catcher.  Who knows what he looks like after 5 years of abuse behind the plate(especially at the rate they are playing him).  I think he is a riskier proposition, and we have some depth at the position coming up behind him. 

And no we only have Adley for 4 more years after this.

7 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

There's two players at the top of my priority list to extend and both have proven they can handle the Major League level as cornerstones of the franchise.

1. Cedric Mullins

2.Adley Rutschman

And the tricky part is that a smart GM would try to set a cap at age 32, so that complicates matters more.

I think it's premature to talk about extending a player who was only drafted out of high school 10 months ago and hasn't even played a full season of professional baseball, let alone, Major League Baseball.

1) It’s definitely not too early to talk extension for Holliday.

2) zero interest in extend Mullins well into his 30s.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

JRod’s deal is complicated with lots of options, etc…his deal is also for longer, which I don’t think works here.

Yeah it does have a lot of complexities to it. But when Boras goes to make comps, it will be a deal that is looked at. Boras will not be taking something that is lower than what other guys comparable have we received. And believing otherwise is setting one’s self up for disappointment.

I want the Orioles to retain/extend him for the long term. But I also want them to do the right thing for a change, and actually pay guys fair market deals. Yes, they will be expensive. But elite talent in this game costs.

I’m not rooting for the Orioles to get over on these guys and not compensate them fairly. The Orioles are a billion dollar business and can afford it.

For once in my life time after 40 years, we have a treasure trove of talent within the baseball organization, better than the Yanks, BOS, LA, etc. And there is NOTHING that those teams can do about it! I don’t want us to muck this up, so that we can go cheap and ownership can continue to act in a way that is against all of our interests (the club and fans).   Just this one time, I would like/hope that we get it right 🤞🙏

4 hours ago, Mr-splash said:

Holliday comes from an extremely wealthy family. He comes from money beyond 99% of American's wildest imaginations. So the leverage isnt there. He doesnt have to weigh to options of taking a smaller deal for financial security. He already is financially secure. A lot of these pre arb deals are made with Hispanic players who come from abject poverty. 

Maybe he wants to make his own money.  Just a hunch.

Really exciting what he's doing, especially considering that everyone drafted around him who could have gone first overall are off to poor starts.  Elias picked correctly and it's awesome to see.

Barring injuries, I think there's a good chance he's in Baltimore in June 2024.  Service clock game, just up late enough to probably not win Rookie of the Year but still have a good season.

I knew there would be talk about Holliday because of his heater he's currently on. He's certainly very advanced, and significantly ahead of where even Elias thought he would be at based on his comment last night.

Saying that, I'm the last person who wants to stifle conversation, but this whole sign him to an extension talk is silly. C'mon now, how about we just enjoy a prospect doing historic stuff statistically without getting into Boros, Angelos and Elias' risk aversion. 

There is plenty of time to talk about that with Holliday when he makes he debut with the Orioles and I'm sure the same posters will have this discussion again. But maybe, just maybe, we limit this premature conversation until he's actually in an Orioles uniform? Sometimes you just need to enjoy a young man playing baseball without talking about the business aspects of the game that will NEVER EVER happen with the Orioles for lots of reason.

Back to Holliday's on field performance, if he keeps this up they will start walking him a lot which means he will need to be promoted to challenge him. Bowie does not have a real SS prospect so there is playing time available for him there.

I would not be surprised if he's not moved to Bowie after Memorial Day.

What he's doing is very, very special for sure.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I knew there would be talk about Holliday because of his heater he's currently on. He's certainly very advanced, and significantly ahead of where even Elias thought he would be at based on his comment last night.

Saying that, I'm the last person who wants to stifle conversation, but this whole sign him to an extension talk is silly. C'mon now, how about we just enjoy a prospect doing historic stuff statistically without getting into Boros, Angelos and Elias' risk aversion. 

There is plenty of time to talk about that with Holliday when he makes he debut with the Orioles and I'm sure the same posters will have this discussion again. But maybe, just maybe, we limit this premature conversation until he's actually in an Orioles uniform? Sometimes you just need to enjoy a young man playing baseball without talking about the business aspects of the game that will NEVER EVER happen with the Orioles for lots of reason.

Back to Holliday's on field performance, if he keeps this up they will start walking him a lot which means he will need to be promoted to challenge him. Bowie does not have a real SS prospect so there is playing time available for him there.

Signing a generational talent long term is never silly.

We can enjoy what he is doing and have this discussion. Doesn’t need to be an either/or situation.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Wonder if you were to offer it right now, if that makes him think about it more than if you wait 2-3 years from now.

Time is money, time is the enemy, and time is risky.  Future Value of Money has a discount rate and risk factors that would be negotiated. 

All things equal, yes, it makes him consider it more. 

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

Sure, that's why Termarr Johnson was picked fourth last year, but the hit tool is the most difficult by far to evaluate.  Unless they have a truly elite hit tool guys go as far as their defense takes them and that's why athleticism and an arm are valued.  It also allows them to play multiple positions-which is valued.  

There plenty of hall of famers with a great hit tool and mediocre or even bad field, arm, power and field tool. 

How many HOFers have a good arm tool and crap other tools?

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Double negative.  This reads as if you wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t promote him.  Come on, Tony!

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Signing a generational talent long term is never silly.

We can enjoy what he is doing and have this discussion. Doesn’t need to be an either/or situation.

It's silly because you're talking about something that has 0.00001% chance of happening. You want to discuss fairyland stuff and actually argue over it, do it some place else besides in his 2023 thread. Make a new thread called the Orioles should sign Holliday to an extension now and then all that silliness will be in one thread, not mucking up his perfromance thread for the year. 

Just to be clear, this is not a request. 

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Double negative.  This reads as if you wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t promote him.  Come on, Tony!

I could give two squats about your infatuations with double negatives. You know what I meant. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

It's silly because you're talking about something that has 0.00001% chance of happening. You want to discuss fairyland stuff and actually argue over it, do it some place else besides in his 2023 thread. Make a new thread called the Orioles should sign Holliday to an extension now and then all that silliness will be in one thread, not mucking up his perfromance thread for the year. 

Just to be clear, this is not a request. 

Wow

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe he wants to make his own money.  Just a hunch.

Really exciting what he's doing, especially considering that everyone drafted around him who could have gone first overall are off to poor starts.  Elias picked correctly and it's awesome to see.

Barring injuries, I think there's a good chance he's in Baltimore in June 2024.  Service clock game, just up late enough to probably not win Rookie of the Year but still have a good season.

Of course he wants to make his own money. Clearly, he doesn't "need" money the way poverty stricken Dominicans need money. They need money for their wives, kids, grandmas, dads, etc. They take family out of poverty.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

His numbers at Aberdeen are almost identical to his numbers in Delmarva.  He's figured out whatever he needed to figure out in high A.  They could promote him to Bowie today and I'd be fine with that.