2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think O'Hearn will pick up any AB's that Vavra would have had.    I don't think you're going to see Stowers right away but honestly I don't know who would replace Vavra.   Maybe Ortiz.   Maybe Westburg.

I think you are right about O'Hearn ABs but that keeps Santander in RF which isn't a good way to keep him healthy. We have the collection of AAAA 1B-DH types in AAA but ME is converting Heston to 1B in AA. We have Heston, Cowers, Stowers, with Beavers rising but ME is converting Westburg to COF. We have Ortiz ready and he is a better version of Urias but has no place to play unless there is injury. Vavra is also redundant with Urias. The bottom line is we have no idea what ME and the Sig bot are thinking because the the current puzzle pieces don't fit any discernable pattern,

18 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I think you are right about O'Hearn ABs but that keeps Santander in RF which isn't a good way to keep him healthy. We have the collection of AAAA 1B-DH types in AAA but ME is converting Heston to 1B in AA. We have Heston, Cowers, Stowers, with Beavers rising but ME is converting Westburg to COF. We have Ortiz ready and he is a better version of Urias but has no place to play unless there is injury. Vavra is also redundant with Urias. The bottom line is we have no idea what ME and the Sig bot are thinking because the the current puzzle pieces don't fit any discernable pattern,

I actually think Frazier made Vavra redundant 

39 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

There's only ONE reasonable solution to this issue and that is to trade the excess positional talent for the frontline pitching that we need.

I have been thinking if we put together a package of 3/4 of these guys not named Gunnar, Grayson, or Holiday what could we get?

I'm wondering what is the big clamor for Stowers all about? Isn't Cowser the much superior/more talented outfield prospect?

I don't see the sense in replacing Varva with Stowers for a month or 2 only to hand the position over to Cowser? If they want to see what they have in Varva for a while (which in my opinion is quite clear...he's a very low ceiling player with limited skills), I'm fine with them running Varva out there for the next 6 weeks or so against right handed pitching, until they bring Cowser up to play one of the outfield corner spots and hopefully slide Santander to DH where he belongs.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

There's only ONE reasonable solution to this issue and that is to trade the excess positional talent for the frontline pitching that we need.

I have been thinking if we put together a package of 3/4 of these guys not named Gunnar, Grayson, or Holiday what could we get?

Who is the target?   Which team is going to trade a front-line starter in April?    I don't see it happening.   Maybe closer to the deadline but I suspect not even then.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Who is the target?   Which team is going to trade a front-line starter in April?    I don't see it happening.   Maybe closer to the deadline but I suspect not even then.

Except for Ohtani/Burnes/Woodruff, whose teams are doing well enough, this early in the year team performances are maybe thin tea leaves.    So far so good with CHW Stars/Scrubs roster scuffling.      They aren't dead yet, but in another month, Cease, Giolito, Lynn, Hendriks, Reynaldo could all become possibilities.

Jordan Montgomery or Aaron Nola if STL or PHI playing .400 ball persists, but everyone's still a few good/bad days from being right/wrong.     I have enough Alex Cobb baggage that'd be a hard one to consider without bias.    

Santander is a better OF than Vavra. Sometimes we sleep on Santander but he might that clutch catch in Chicago, and has a cannon. I just don’t see a MLB tool with Vavra. 

If our FO likes Vavra then we should just play Frazier in RF and call up one of Westburg/Ortiz. 

Our pitching is taking a lot of heat of off our offense. We’ve only scored 2-3 runs versus some less than stellar SP the last few games. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The guy that I'm looking at as a trade deadline target is Jesus Luzardo from MIA. MIA needs hitting and positional players and they have abundance of pitching including their top prospect who is a pitch Eury Perez who is #11 currently in the top 100.

We could give them a major league player in Urias to help man 3B for them for cheap and 3/4 positional prospects. Heck, for Luzardo I would be willing to even give them DL Hall plus 2/3 other guys. Luzardo is the type of pitcher that we need PLUS he is a lefty and only 25!

Edited by Bemorewins

48 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm wondering what is the big clamor for Stowers all about? Isn't Cowser the much superior/more talented outfield prospect?

I don't see the sense in replacing Varva with Stowers for a month or 2 only to hand the position over to Cowser? If they want to see what they have in Varva for a while (which in my opinion is quite clear...he's a very low ceiling player with limited skills), I'm fine with them running Varva out there for the next 6 weeks or so against right handed pitching, until they bring Cowser up to play one of the outfield corner spots and hopefully slide Santander to DH where he belongs.

Other may have a different view, but I personally don't think Cowser is a much superior prospect.  If I could only have one I'd pick Cowser, but I think they are pretty close. 

50 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The guy that I'm looking at as a trade deadline target is Jesus Luzardo from MIA. MIA needs hitting and positional players and they have abundance of pitching including their top prospect who is a pitch Eury Perez who is #11 currently in the top 100.

Their big dog Sandy Alcantara Is hurt and skipping his next start, so Miami’s rotation isn’t as deep as they used to be. I know we haven’t dealt with the Nationals a whole lot, but I’d be asking them what a trade for MacKenzie Gore would cost us. They’re still 3-5 years away from contention and a 3 or 4 for 1 deal with us could shave a year off their rebuild. 

9 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Their big dog Sandy Alcantara Is hurt and skipping his next start, so Miami’s rotation isn’t as deep as they used to be. I know we haven’t dealt with the Nationals a whole lot, but I’d be asking them what a trade for MacKenzie Gore would cost us. They’re still 3-5 years away from contention and a 3 or 4 for 1 deal with us could shave a year off their rebuild. 

Gore is good. But we need better to anchor the top of our rotation. He’s not much better if any better at all than what we have now. I would hate to waste trade resources for only marginal improvement.

If MIA doesn’t work and MIL looks like they are going to be in it, maybe ARI or STL can be looked at?

The amount of teams selling is not what it used to be with the extra wildcard. We may need to get creative.