2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

43 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Game on the line, who on our team would you rather have at the plate ahead of Adley? Only other guy I'd maybe want is Mountcastle if there are 2 out and we absolutely need a homer. Hays, Mullins, and Santander all have lower career OPS than Adley. He is certainly one of our top 3 hitters. Yes, he needs to catch as much as possible but he is absolutely a Great Hitter.

No, he’s not a great hitter. Not yet.

Great hitters don’t have a 270 BA and 430 slugging.

His value is because he’s a catcher. We need to stop trying to take him away from that.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

His value is because he’s a catcher. We need to stop trying to take him away from that.

Did you just cite batting average as an indication of what makes a great hitter?

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You are seriously underrating Adley. Now in an ideal world we would have the luxury of a .950 OPS full time DH/OF power bat and Adley could be full time C. With the current roster construction Adley is the top DH candidate any day he doesn't catch based on OPS, oWAR, etc.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

You are seriously underrating Adley. Now in an ideal world we would have the luxury of a .950 OPS full time DH/OF power bat and Adley could be full time C. With the current roster construction Adley is the top DH candidate any day he doesn't catch based on OPS, oWAR, etc.

I’m not underrating him. You are, foolishly, comping him to his teammates. That is completely irrelevant to what I’m saying.

Do you think Adley is as good a hitter as Trout?  Because I would call Trout a great hitter. I would call a guy like Goldschmidt a great hitter over his career. Freeman. Lots of guys.

If you think Adley is in their class, you are crazy.

Now, when you bring positional value into things, he can be every bit as valuable as those guys but we aren’t talking about that.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not underrating him. You are, foolishly, comping him to his teammates. That is completely irrelevant to what I’m saying.

Do you think Adley is as good a hitter as Trout?  Because I would call Trout a great hitter. I would call a guy like Goldschmidt a great hitter over his career. Freeman. Lots of guys.

If you think Adley is in their class, you are crazy.

Now, when you bring positional value into things, he can be every bit as valuable as those guys but we aren’t talking about that.

I already acknowledged in an ideal world we would have a full time DH who is better than Adley. Agreed Adley is not as elite as Trout/Goldy but that is not what I meant by "great". I definitely think Adley has value as more than a C on the 2023 Orioles and most MLB teams. The median DH hits .270/.400. 

52 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I already acknowledged in an ideal world we would have a full time DH who is better than Adley. Agreed Adley is not as elite as Trout/Goldy but that is not what I meant by "great". I definitely think Adley has value as more than a C on the 2023 Orioles and most MLB teams. The median DH hits .270/.400. 

Yes, he has value in the sense that they should DH him 25ish times.

But trying to find a catcher so we DH him half the time makes zero sense.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do people continue to want to take Adley out from behind the plate? That’s where his value is!

He’s not some 30+ homer/900+ OPS hitter. We need to stop treating him as if he’s done high level offensive player at first or DH. He has to catch.

You took him first because of the value he has as a catcher, not a DH.

The team, Hyde/Elias keep taking him from behind the plate. He can't catch more than about 120 games all year.