Kyle Bradish 2023

Frobby

Bradish currently has a 139 ERA+ which, if it stands (or anywhere close), will be the best ERA+ by a qualified Orioles starter since Erik Bedard’s 146 in 2007.   His raw ERA of 3.03 would be the lowest since Mike Mussina’s 2.54 in 1992.  So that’s the company we’re talking about here — Bedard and Mussina.  Of course, he would have to maintain his current ERA and reach 162 innings (145.2 as of tonight) to reach these accomplishments.  But it’s in sight.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Bradish currently has a 139 ERA+ which, if it stands (or anywhere close), will be the best ERA+ by a qualified Orioles starter since Erik Bedard’s 146 in 2007.   His raw ERA of 3.03 would be the lowest since Mike Mussina’s 2.54 in 1992.  So that’s the company we’re talking about here — Bedard and Mussina.  Of course, he would have to maintain his current ERA and reach 162 innings (145.2 as of tonight) to reach these accomplishments.  But it’s in sight.  

He's got 4 starts left right?  As long as he pitches decently he'll qualify.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

We are watching an ace develop right in front of our eyes.  

I was always a believer of this even before I joined this board. I sometimes tempered my comments out of fear of getting ahead of myself and just seeing things through Orange colored fan goggles. It's good to see that other Orioles fans are seeing what I was seeing, as well as baseball media (MLB ranked him in their top 7 power rankings of pitchers), so I know it's based in reality and not fan-hood. Here's some of my post history in chronological order about Kyle Bradish, showing how much I've always believed in him...

On 5/21/2023 at 5:50 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

The problem with this entire topic of conversation is it means you would have to bump some good players out of the rotation. I mean who are you going to cut? Are you going to really get rid of Bradish who has flashed the potential to be a top of the rotation pitcher at time? <snipped>

On 5/26/2023 at 6:24 AM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Just wait until Kyle Bradish fully develops and becomes more consistent. I can envision him being extremely good. Like Corbin Burnes good. 

On 7/3/2023 at 8:59 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Bradish at the moment is probably a #3-#4, but his potential gives me hope that one day he can be a solid #2 or maybe even an adequate #1 if he over performs and reaches his potential. 

On 8/1/2023 at 9:11 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Kyle Bradish = Ace

On 8/15/2023 at 9:40 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Right now Grayson Rodriguez and Kyle Bradish are in a competition to win the title of Orioles future Ace,  heading into the offseason and start of 2024.

On 9/5/2023 at 5:17 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

This got me thinking, if the Orioles decide that a 6 man rotation in 2024 is their in best interest, then if all goes as hoped for I can imagine the 2024 rotation looking something like...

1. Kyle Bradish

<snipped>

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I’m pretty confident we know who our Game 1 starter will be if we face Houston.  Bradish’s career numbers: 22.2 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 25 K’s.  

With today’s outing, Bradish is 3.1 innings away from qualifying from the ERA title.   His ERA is down to 3.01, 3rd in the AL behind Gerrit Cole (2.81) and Sonny Gray (2.84), with Luis Castillo (3.06) still in the mix.  All could get two more starts, with Cole (who last pitched on 9/15) possibly getting three.  Either Bradish or Castillo could be held to one start if their team’s playoff position is settled before the final weekend.  Gray (who last pitched on 9/17) is almost certain to make two more starts.  

It’s remote that Bradish will win the ERA title, but a nice consolation prize would be nosing his ERA under 3.00.  His next start should come against the light-hitting Nats next Tuesday or Wednesday.  

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I’m pretty confident we know who our Game 1 starter will be if we face Houston.  Bradish’s career numbers: 22.2 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 25 K’s.  

With today’s outing, Bradish is 3.1 innings away from qualifying from the ERA title.   His ERA is down to 3.01, 3rd in the AL behind Gerrit Cole (2.81) and Sonny Gray (2.84), with Luis Castillo (3.06) still in the mix.  All could get two more starts, with Cole (who last pitched on 9/15) possibly getting three.  Either Bradish or Castillo could be held to one start if their team’s playoff position is settled before the final weekend.  Gray (who last pitched on 9/17) is almost certain to make two more starts.  

It’s remote that Bradish will win the ERA title, but a nice consolation prize would be nosing his ERA under 3.00.  His next start should come against the light-hitting Nats next Tuesday or Wednesday.  

Be hard for me not to pitch him Game 1 vs anybody. 

26 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Be hard for me not to pitch him Game 1 vs anybody. 

Me too.  For the record, in 2023:

8.1 IP. 1 ER vs. Texas (2 starts, 1 cut short after 1.2 innings due to injury)

14 IP, 4 ER vs. Toronto (2 starts)

18 IP, 8 ER vs.  Tampa (3)

13 IP, 4 ER vs. Seattle (2) 

6 IP, 0 ER vs. Houston (1)

Edited by Frobby

Only reason he wouldn't pitch Game 1 is if he is needed in the last couple games to clinch the division. Hopefully we get it before then. Bradish is the best pitcher we have had in a long, long time. If Grayson can sustain his production they could form the core of one of the all time great Orioles rotations. I really underestimated this guy but I am sold he is an absolute stud.

The tougher on him fWAR has him into MLB's Top 20, bWAR has him 6th, and Stuff+ now sees him 2nd to Burnes.

It will be interesting Game Theory next Sunday if something is at stake in Game 162.     Pitch him and we fail to win the bye, he's unavailable for the ALWC series.

Jay Jaffe, who over the years has had a shtick cheering for Team Entropy and crazy tiebreak scenarios that the new balanced schedule has all but eliminated, may have to content himself with the possibility none of the AL's six tournament placements may be locked until the final 24-48 hours.

Edited by Just Regular