Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have asked for clarification on how he knows this but just saw this w/r/t Grayson:

I guess the new arm slot wasnt working well. At all. Looks like he switched back since had had 72% strikes and no walks. That hadnt been happening in awhile. 

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I see 3-4 FB in the middle of the strike zone for swinging strike threes.  Do those get hit at the MLB level?  They were.  The same thing with 2-3 Ks on breaking pitches that stayed in the zone.  It's a great start.  Don't get me wrong.  The problem with Grayson has been that those pitches that he was finishing milb hitters with were getting hammered, or spoiled, at the MLB level.  Hopefully he's made adjustments and it works up here.  Fingers crossed.  We surely do need him.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I see 3-4 FB in the middle of the strike zone for swinging strike threes.  Do those get hit at the MLB level?  They were.  The same thing with 2-3 Ks on breaking pitches that stayed in the zone.  It's a great start.  Don't get me wrong.  The problem with Grayson has been that those pitches that he was finishing milb hitters with were getting hammered, or spoiled, at the MLB level.  Hopefully he's made adjustments and it works up here.  Fingers crossed.  We surely do need him.  

The only way we'll know is by letting him try at the MLB level.

It's an unfair standard to ask a player to not only dominate AAA hitters, but to dominate AAA hitters in a very specific way. We can sit here inventing thresholds we would like to see met, but the reality is that he's playing a real game and doing what he needs to do to get results.

The goal of sending Grayson back down was to tweak a few things, let him work through innings without the pressure of a quick hook, and regain his confidence. It shouldn't be to have him reach a level of abstract perfection.

• Upvote 3

Since being sent back to AAA, Grayson has thrown 34.1 innings to a 1.83 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 13.4 K/9, 4.25 K/BB.  He’s gone 6 innings in 5 of 6 starts.   While the walks are slightly higher than I’d like, 5 of the 12 were in his first outing after being sent down.  

Watching the highlights of his 12 strikeouts, it looks like he’s getting close.  I think I’d leave him in AAA for his next start, since it’s the day before the All Star break.  Then consider bringing him back after the break.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I have asked for clarification on how he knows this but just saw this w/r/t Grayson:

I have been trying to figure this out all season. So, do we know if they changed the arm slot back to how it was pre injury or if he is now controlling his secondaries better with the new arm slot? Thank you for sharing this.

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

I have been trying to figure this out all season. So, do we know if they changed the arm slot back to how it was pre injury or if he is now controlling his secondaries better with the new arm slot? Thank you for sharing this.

Well I’m not sure if the guys info is accurate. I asked him to clarify but I have been asking if anything changed after the injury last year.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well I’m not sure if the guys info is accurate. I asked him to clarify but I have been asking if anything changed after the injury last year.

He's the only person who's mentioned an arm slot change too, isn't he?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Clearly something was different after the injury, arm slot would totally make sense. Hopefully we see more of what he did in his last start, I don't care if he is throwing it side arm.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Since being sent back to AAA, Grayson has thrown 34.1 innings to a 1.83 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 13.4 K/9, 4.25 K/BB.  He’s gone 6 innings in 5 of 6 starts.   While the walks are slightly higher than I’d like, 5 of the 12 were in his first outing after being sent down.  

Watching the highlights of his 12 strikeouts, it looks like he’s getting close.  I think I’d leave him in AAA for his next start, since it’s the day before the All Star break.  Then consider bringing him back after the break.  

I agree.. but I watched this and while better… I still think he is not the same pitcher I saw last year prior to injury.  
But clearly he can get AAA hitters out again now consistently but we shall see.. i have much lower expectations with him than I had.