Austin Hays 2023

Frobby

That was a great play by Hays.  He got to the ball quickly, got rid of it quickly, and fired a strike.  

Sometimes we take for granted what these guys can do with their throws.   That play is really, really hard to execute.   There are not many outfielders with arms as strong and accurate as Hays’.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hays should be batting 4th with Mountcastle 6th. Hays has more consistent ABs and less holes in his swing. 

I agree. Mullins-adley-tony-hays is one of the deadliest on base lineups in the league 

Then you let mountcastle bat after Frazier instead of a SO ending every top order 

Edited by purplepittabread88

Since we're talking Hays and batting order... the problem with Hays batting after Frazier is that often Frazier walks or singles, setting up a predictable DP with Hays' obsessive hard grounders to the left side. Nice when the guy is actually hitting, but it's a mixed bag with runners on, due to that severe grounder habit. (Disclaimer: I don't have the stats on hand to back up this perception, just eye test).

Nice to see Hays get a couple of cheap hits yesterday.  The first was a swinging bunt that Chapman had to eat.  The second was a high fly ball to LCF where Kiermaier and Merrifield miscommunicated.  At the last second, Kiermaier tried to make a lunging dive, but he the ball dropped out of his glove.  It was scored a double, but really an error in my book.  It’s good to know that Kiermaier is human.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nice to see Hays get a couple of cheap hits yesterday.  The first was a swinging bunt that Chapman had to eat.  The second was a high fly ball to LCF where Kiermaier and Merrifield miscommunicated.  At the last second, Kiermaier tried to make a lunging dive, but he the ball dropped out of his glove.  It was scored a double, but really an error in my book.  It’s good to know that Kiermaier is human.  

Also had a clean base hit in the 11th, kind of a semi-bloop that was hit soft off the inside barrel but with just enough to get it into the outfield. Just when I'm ready to give up on him, like clockwork he puts together a great month or two. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Looks like a line drive in the boxscore.

Changing that from an error on Kiermaier to a double for Hays was BS.  I agree with Otter, if Hays had scored there was no way that they would have changed it and given their pitcher an earned run.  Happy for Hays, but that was ridiculous.

I hope that his play this year has quieted down the "replace Hays and Santander" talk with unknown prospects assuming they will give similar production.

Hays is a really solid MLB player. Not rookie that we bring up is going to realistically give us what he has given us this year.

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I hope that his play this year has quieted down the "replace Hays and Santander" talk with unknown prospects assuming they will give similar production.

Hays is a really solid MLB player. Not rookie that we bring up is going to realistically give us what he has given us this year.

I couldn't agree with you more.