Looks like this is how the rotation shakes out

interloper

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think it does to the extent that he struggled some in the spring and now it gives them an excuse.

That said, if he pitches well, he’s on the OD roster.

I also think the early season schedule has something to do with it. 

This is where I'm at. If he pitched well this spring, he goes North. He did not and it gave the org every reason to be able to send him back to not only iron out his command and breaking ball issues, but also potentially gain some service time.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I think that's credible.   I'm disappointed but I also understand it.    Wells pitched well last year and his last two starts down here were good.   It would be tough telling him he didn't make the rotation.    The question is, what if Rodriguez dominates and all 5 starters are pitching decently during April and May.

That's a long shot.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

You don't think this made their decision easier for them?  

Ok.

Sure it did, but it wasn't the primary motivation. I think they'd rather Rodriguez look like the #1 pitcher prospect and force his way into the rotation. 

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That's a long shot.

It's a long shot that all 5 starters are pitching decently?    Ok.    I don't think they are going to replace one of them unless they are really struggling and pitchers like Gibson and Irvin are going to get a lot of rope.    It's going to take an injury and someone struggling really bad.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

If it's not primary, isn't it secondary?

Semantics.

I do believe they would look for any/every opportunity to send him down and he didn't hesitate to give it to them.  You and I and everyone else here knows that he doesn't have anything left to prove in the minors.  There was a good chance he could have been up last year if it weren't for the lat strain.

So he's had a subpar spring training, so what?  I'd prefer to see him work through any command/breaking ball issues at the ML level.  But, the almighty service time.  

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It's a long shot that all 5 starters are pitching decently?    Ok.    I don't think they are going to replace one of them unless they are really struggling and pitchers like Gibson and Irvin are going to get a lot of rope.    It's going to take an injury and someone struggling really bad.

These 5 starters staying healthy and pitching well for 2 months is a long shot IMO.

Edited by wildcard

This could end up making our rotation stronger in the long run. 

We could get a large enough sample from the five starters who break with the club, to determine which one would best belong in the pen.  I'm not convinced it is Wells, but this could give us a chance to find out. 

Just as likely, one of them makes a trip to the DL before May and we see Grayson that way. 

Edited by ChuckS

Just now, wildcard said:

These 5 starters staying healthy and pitching well for 2 months is a long shot IMO.

You are probably right.  We'll see.   If they do stay healthy and none of them implode AND GRod is lights out in Norfolk, it could get interesting.

Kremer showed flashes but didn’t have consistent control today.  One too many meatball slurves left out over the plate.  Jordan Walker also just nearly missed a mammoth HR on a hanger.   Like everyone, a bit concerned about the SP.  Maybe would’ve been a good idea to look for some upgrades during the off-season, eh?

Can’t argue with the GRod decision, but it’s disappointing.  Need more upside in this rotation if this team actually wants to be any good.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

Kremer showed flashes but didn’t have consistent control today.  One too many meatball slurves left out over the plate.  Jordan Walker also just nearly missed a mammoth HR on a hanger.   Like everyone, a bit concerned about the SP.  Maybe would’ve been a good idea to look for some upgrades during the off-season, eh?

Can’t argue with the GRod decision, but it’s disappointing.  Need more upside in this rotation if this team actually wants to be any good.

Kremer did fine for 4 innings.   Tired in the 5th.