Who’s your pick to have a career year?

Frobby

1 hour ago, SilverRocket said:

Santander put up a great showing in the WBC and looks locked in. I think he'll surpass what he did last year and look closer to his 2020 version with an OPS in the 800s. Hopefully with less time in the outfield, though in the WBC he looked a bit faster than I expected.

I also expect improvement from Mountcastle and Adley but they're young enough that I don't think this will be their peak.

This is what my initial thought was when I saw this thread.  I think he looks like he is in great shape and locked in.  I am predicting Santander is an All Star this year.  He should benefit from more at bats coming as a DH to keep him healthier. 

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm just giving my definition, not arguing.

I'll go with Adley.

Yeah Adley is a good choice by both definitions. Being a catcher, I could see him having a big year this year and then start to decline. That’s why I’m not all that worried about locking him up long term. Id be fine just using him up as much as we can during his years of control and then letting him go once he hits free agency. I’d much rather see us lock up Gunnar long term. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

In 2021 it was Mullins. In 2022 it was Santander. Who’s your 2023 pick to have the best year of his career? While I’m tempted to say Adam Frazier 😇, I’ll go with Ryan Mountcastle.   

Technically several could have the best year of their career, how do you pick the winner? I think that Mateo could be the winner if he can revert back to the plate discipline of last summer. I expect similar defense and more steals if he can get 450 ABs but the bat needs to be playable.

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

You're calling me out using the word "reasonably" and implying that I think it'll happen in a thread that's about career years?  Okay.  No, I don't think a 4 WAR will happen either.  But Tyler Anderson did it in 2022.  Was that reasonable?  No.  Did it happen?  Yes.

What's a unicorn/career year look like for Baker?  He'll be 28.  Just finished his first full season in the ML with a 1.4 WAR (tying Bautista for 27th in the MLB).  

Yes because reasonably means there’s a decent chance he is..that’s crazy to me.

Sub 3 ERA, maybe even sub 2.5 for Baker.  Lots of Brach vibes for me. Predicting a reliever to be really good for one year and potentially see a drop off after that isn’t exactly going out on the limb either.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Best year of their career, not best year so far.

Considering that Grayson is probably going to be innings limited this season I fully expect him to have better seasons in the future.

Well... next year will technically be the best of his career, and we'll evaluate once again in 2024 🙂 

Without reading this thread, Austin Hays!

A lot of caveats, injury in this case, there is flexibility and competition at every position 3-9 (&DH). Hays should see a little DH if his bat hits the ceiling throughout 2023.

5 bwar predicted, Austin’s best season with the O’s.