O’s: 4th most profitable team in 2022?

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Es4M11 said:

I think it had less to do Davis having a kid, and more to do with MLB taking away his Adderall. Of course this is nothing but speculation on my part. That said, when MLB pulled Davis' therapeutic use exemption for Adderall and he had to switch to Vyvanse, that is when the wheels started to fall off. Then he spent the next couple seasons trying to get back his T.U.E. for Adderall.

If you ask me, the complaints he raised after the switch to Vyvanse about not being able to see the ball, and other comments he made at the time sort of seemed to me like he was dealing with stimulant withdraw. Of course this all opinion on my part.

This isn’t correct.  He was on Vyvanse in 2015, when he had his second-best season that garnered his big contract.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This isn’t correct.  He was on Vyvanse in 2015, when he had his second-best season that garnered his big contract.  

And frankly... a giant cup of coffee would have offered as much performance benefit as either

1 hour ago, AnythingO's said:

The article says the Rights fees are $61M each to O's and Nats. First I don't know where that number comes from as they are still litigating 2012-2016 Rights fees. Second, if that number is right then I doubt MASN has much profit after paying $122M out.

$61 mm is approximately what the RSDC awarded for the 2012-16 period, so I guess Forbes is assuming the award will be confirmed and that payments will stay flat.  Neither assumption is certain.  

What I do find interesting is that $61 mm is essentially middle of the pack, and yet the O’s/MASN keep arguing it’s too high.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Can we say with absolute certainty that Davis wasn't using Adderall at all in 2015? No, I don't think we can. And this is evidenced by the fact that he failed two drug tests in 2014 for illegal use of the drug. Got caught with his hand in the cookie jar once, and did it again. It's entirely possible that he was supplementing his Vyvanse with Adderall. It would have been easier to hide that fact considering he did have a TUE for Adderall in 2015. Both drugs would provide similar results on most drug tests. Now, I understand that this is all conjecture on my part.

And even if 2015 doesn't make my point, 2014 certainly does. The point being that a large part of Davis' success was predicated on amphetamine use. And I have little doubt that switching to Vyvanse was detrimental to his performance as a whole, even if not to great effect in 2015.

https://www.mlb.com/news/chris-davis-gets-therapeutic-use-exemption-for-adderall/c-104245038

Just now, Es4M11 said:

I'm assuming this is a joke? Have you ever taken Adderall?

I have taken Ritalin, Adderall, and Vyvanse, yes.

And I would contend that none of them offer any more athletic performance enhancement, than would a large dark roast coffee.

Your mileage may vary. See dealer warranty for exclusions.

36 minutes ago, owknows said:

I have taken Ritalin, Adderall, and Vyvanse, yes.

And I would contend that none of them offer any more athletic performance enhancement, than would a large dark roast coffee.

Your mileage may vary. See dealer warranty for exclusions.

Well I suppose that if you have been on all three of them, then you have probably been on it since childhood? And with that type of tolerance, yeah, I can get your point. But as you said, most people would have different opinions. Mine is drastically different from yours, as are most people I know.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's an outlier.

The story I heard is his Father in law is not well and he's a big Mets fan so the owner is trying his best to get a title before he passes.

Also the Padres owner is a cancer survivor twice over which has led folks to believe he is also not worried about profits.

You'd think John would want to win won for Peter. Unless Peter is already too far gone to appreciate it.

From one of the lawsuits: "The new filing depicts John Angelos as an aggrieved son who felt underappreciated and underpaid by his father. It quotes from so-called manifestoes that John Angelos wrote, including one from March 3, 2015, in which he said he’s created hundreds of millions of dollars of cash flow and wealth for the family’s companies yet his salary never exceeded $175,000 at the Orioles or $225,000 at Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, also known as MASN.

IMHO the only thing JA cares about is being perceived as a successful businessman, a "player", as to date all his prior efforts resulted in failure requiring PA to step in to fix.

Edited by AnythingO's
typo