O’s: 4th most profitable team in 2022?

Sports Guy

28 minutes ago, owknows said:

Curse those guys in ownership and the front office for creating a financially healthy team while vastly improving it's future prospects.

Why can't they blow all their money on Free Agents like the Mets, Padres, WhiteSox, BlueJays, and Twins?

FWIW, each of those teams were playoff contenders last year and 3 of them made it.

No fans give a crap about profitability. Perhpas a slight exception could be made for O's fans, as a profitable team is an attractive team to sell. The Angelos family selling the O's is 1/2 a step below winning a World Series. 

9 minutes ago, owknows said:

Of course...

Always easiest to scream "win at all costs" when it's somebody else's money.

A little short sighted though.

Let the Orioles put some money into the stadium improvements. Cleveland is doing stadium improvements and the  owner of the Guardians is putting up some of his own money. Also good they got the  MSA to pay  for the new wall 

https://twitter.com/NathanSRuiz/status/1638948861833101314?s=20

Edited by Going Underground

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who, exactly, is screaming "win at all costs"?

Uhhh... I assumed it was the guy saying "No fans give a crap about profitability. "

And saying we should be more like the teams that operate at a loss... because they make the playoffs.

Edited by owknows
adding content

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes I'm dissatisfied with the progress of the rebuild.

Have you not been paying attention?

Intentionally tanking for three full seasons after the collapse and not planning on being competitive in year four is obscene.  It's year five and they are still barely touching the accelerator. 

They aren't locking up players long term, they aren't attempting to build the brand, they aren't improving the MASN experience.

Dang, I pretty much feel the opposite. I feel like after we neglected the farm system for so long, what we have been able to do in 3-4 years is pretty much the best case scenario. The only thing I’d really like to see is us locking up our guys long term. Otherwise, I’m about as happy as I think I could realistically be with our progress so far. 

• Upvote 2

Im actually disappointed the O's only had $64m in profit considering their payroll was so low. I guess ticket revenue only goes so far in the modern era. 

I think we all could guess John was making a hefty profit the past 4-5 years. It also makes sense why he's not interested in selling. 

5 minutes ago, owknows said:

Sure buddy

Well, buddy, let's look at what was actually said.

You said "Why can't they blow all their money on Free Agents like the Mets, Padres, WhiteSox, BlueJays, and Twins?"

To which the reply was "FWIW, each of those teams were playoff contenders last year and 3 of them made it. "

And you, buddy, decided to interpret that as " we should be more like the teams that operate at a loss... because they make the playoffs.".  In one of those cool post my reply edits you seem fond of.

No one on this forum has been suggesting that the Orioles run at a deficient.  Not caring about their profitability isn't the same as advocating for them to work at a loss.

Some of us would like it if ownership spent more of the profits on reinvestment into the team.

Get it now, buddy?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, owknows said:

Uhhh... I assumed it was the guy saying "No fans give a crap about profitability. "

And saying we should be more like the teams that operate at a loss... because they make the playoffs.

You shouldn't assume anything. All fans want their team to be competitive. Playoff teams are competitive. And this is a smart community - nobody here would ever advocate handing out bad contracts. Literally nobody liked the Chris Davis signing, even if many of us were glad a fan favorite was sticking around.

I also never said we should be more like anyone. Your argument doesn't work unless you assume things or put words into someone's mouth. 

I'd also like to know exactly how this $64.7M was calculated. From a publication like Forbes, it was probably purely revenue minus operational costs. Like others have said, RSN and revenue sharing funds are probably not part of this total, so the real figure is likely much higher. I doubt we're in - at least what I would call - the real top 5 of profitable teams all things considered.