Appears Grayson pitched his way to AAA to start the year

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

To me Westburg not making the team is a sign that the organizational depth is strong and they couldn't swing a deal for Mateo or Urias this winter that satisfied them.

Alternatively I think maybe he's a guy that they utilize @ the deadline to trade and supplement the existing roster if they're in the mix. 

So it's NOT a true meritocracy?

Most of us realized that when Odor made the team last year.  Nice to see you are aboard now.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So it's NOT a true meritocracy?

Most of us realized that when Odor made the team last year.  Nice to see you are aboard now.

It's good to have more guys that you can stuff onto a 26 man roster in your organization to turn to when things happen. I do believe that if Rodriguez performed in spring training like they expected him to, he would be on the team. 

A true meritocracy is probably a false hope in professional sports. I would hope that if Elias, Sig & Eve knew how Westburg would perform vs. major league pitching in spring training they would have skipped Frazier.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather the team I root for do the right thing.  Pretty much everyone is these days.

I know I'd not like to be treated that way by an employer.

Is the "right thing" to put the popular kid on the team even though he's not as good as the other kids (right now)?

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Is the "right thing" to put the popular kid on the team even though he's not as good as the other kids (right now)?

It's fewer than 20 Innings, that doesn't prove anything.  He should have been up last year.  He's been earning this chance since 2018.

At least one of his fellow prospects noticed and said something.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's fewer than 20 Innings, that doesn't prove anything.  He should have been up last year.  He's been earning this chance since 2018.

It proves plenty, if you’ve actually watched him pitch.  It’s not just about numbers.  He hasn’t been sharp at all and doesn’t give the team the best chance to win right now.  It’s that simple.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ripken said:

He absolutely should have been up last May before the injury.  That said, he sucked this spring so I've no problem with him paying for that.  I just seriously hope he uses this as motivation to dominate down there.

I don’t think motivation is the issue.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think motivation is the issue.  

Nor do I, but this was unexpected and there's been lots of chatter about it.  They discussed it on MLB Network, too.  We know the kid is a hard worker and I'm hoping he quickly fixes whatever is wrong.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There is something to be said for building up a guy's confidence in the minors.  They clearly wanted him up as they said it all winter.  There is little reason to believe that this is anything but them wanting what they think is best for the team at the moment.  

8 minutes ago, baltfan said:

There is something to be said for building up a guy's confidence in the minors.  They clearly wanted him up as they said it all winter.  There is little reason to believe that this is anything but them wanting what they think is best for the team at the moment.  

I don't know.

I think my confidence would take more of a hit getting sent down than I would get a bump beating a bunch of guys I beat least year.

And if there is little reason to believe it is anything else why did folks that aren't me call this move before spring training even started?

Why are established folks in the media questioning the move?

It is potentially very advantageous financially for the O's to send him down this spring.  Are you disputing that?