Appears Grayson pitched his way to AAA to start the year

Tony-OH

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is such a BS agenda.  He was in the minors about a week longer than his official rehab period.   He was brought up at a time when it was not at all likely that he’d lose Super-2 status via the extra week.   Bottom line, they brought him up when they felt he’d gotten into the swing of things and was ready to be successful.   There’s ZERO evidence that the timing of his call-up was influenced by service time issues.  

He did it.

You can feel free to justify it all you want but what I'm saying is factually accurate.  His comment today is at odds with his actions last year.

He also gamed Mountcastle.

Now he's keeping Grayson down.  It's not as if Wells or Bradish have had strong springs.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He did it.

You can feel free to justify it all you want but what I'm saying is factually accurate.  His comment today is at odds with his actions last year.

He also gamed Mountcastle.

Now he's keeping Grayson down.  It's not as if Wells or Bradish have had strong springs.

They had much stronger springs than Grayson.  Bradish was very good in all but one start.   Wells has been very good his last two or three times out.   Grayson wasn’t pitching well at all, and I’m not just talking about the line scores.   I’m talking about watching him pitch and seeing that he didn’t have his usual stuff or command.  When he has those things, they can bring him up.

• Upvote 4

By my count, the Orioles need a 5th starter 4 times through April.

If the Os keep GRod on a normal schedule, he could get up to 6 starts in AAA and a 7th would be right at the end of May.  Now, they may not give him all of those starts and give him an extra day off here or there because of the off days but the point is that he can start more and be in a better rhythm.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I find myself defending Elias in this decision much more than I thought I would.

Twitter is going nuts over this and Elias is getting slammed because people just point to what GRod did pre injury and that he doesn’t have anything left to prove in AAA.

But I think we also need to acknowledge that he hasn’t looked like “him” 

I agree. Even as someone who generally trusts Elias, I would have been pretty upset had Grayson had a dominant spring and not made the team.  I'd even have been disappointed had he looked sharp with mixed results. However, the pitcher I saw just wasn't ready. Command was all over the place, missing in and out of the zone, grimacing and head shaking, just doesn't seem right. Could be rust, could be lingering injury or maybe something new, but he is not right. I get the "he can learn at the MLB level" school of thought but we really don't want to put him in a place where he gets demoted if he is unable to figure things out quickly. Let him at least pass the eye test a couple times in AAA with less pressure, and then bring him up. I want to see Grayson at the MLB level badly, but the guy I saw was not the same guy as the one who was dominating AAA last year.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Some food for thought...

For those unfamiliar with Stuff+...

https://www.drivelinebaseball.com/2021/12/what-is-stuff-quantifying-pitches-with-pitch-models/

Whoops. I see someone beat me to the punch by sharing this tweet a bit earlier. Sorry for the repeat. Mods, feel free to delete. 

Did it really merit a downvote though? Seems like a pretty harsh reaction to an honest mistake. 

• Upvote 2

This article maybe deserves its own thread, but since it's primarily about the decision to send Grayson down, I figured it fit here. I don't have a problem with the call to send him down to start the year, based on how he looked this spring, but I generally agree with the criticisms laid out in the column. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1